Thursday, June 9, 2011

Taking the Dusty Attic Challenge!! & Some Best Wishes for some Friends!

Dusty Attic started a challenge up a few weeks back to take the 'Design Team Style Inspiration Challenge'!  The idea is to take a look at a specified design team members gallery and use their style to inspire a page done in their style.  Sadly, I was unable to play along with the first two challenges that began with Emeline and Evana's styles because of a pretty heavy DT workload but I was determined to try and get started with trying out Finn's eclectic and beautiful style of scrapping,  By Finn I mean of course the talented Anna Dabrowska aka. Finnabair.  I've always admired her style and have wanted to try out some of her techniques.  The above page is what I came up with.  I noticed that Finn, more often than not uses black & white photos, her layouts are often BOM (book of Me) style pages and she uses a whole lot of spritzes on her work.  I can't claim to really know her process on how she puts a page together, it was more of a wild guess on my part in figuring out how to layer it all and I probably don't really have her process down perfectly I'm sure.....for example, I'm pretty sure she uses lot's of Gesso on her work, but I unfortunately didn't have any in my stash so I improvised with white paint.

I basically began the page design by choosing a paper without a strong pattern in it (Pink Paislee Vintage Moon...an older collection) and layed a piece of Dusty Attic chipboard in the middle of the page using it as a matt, sprayed some pink and green glimmer mists on it to create the flourishy design.
Note:  I made my own glimmer mist by putting a few drops of alcohol ink (Tim Holtz) in a small spritzer bottle (also Tim Holtz), added a pinch of Perfect Pearls mica powder and some water. 
I then did a bit of stitching on the layout using my sewing machine.  Stitching a frame and adding zig-zag designs.  From there I added my photo, layered on some chipboard pieces, lace bits, buttons and blooms. I then did a little more spritzing on all my embellishments (lay a piece of protective plain paper over your photo before you start spritzing again.  I added some white paint accents over the lace, blooms and chipboard. 
Note:  I had to add a coat of white paint to some of the shiney elements like buttons in order for the spritzes to adhere to them.  
Here are some close-up views of the above page....



For the above page I used 7 different Dusty Attic chipboard pieces, the Wrought Iron Trim DA0547 (used as a mask),  Vintage Keys DA0392, Cogs #1 DA0001, Mini Words #2 DA0476, Skeleton clock frames DA0430, Hinges DA0509, and Chicken Wire DA0177.  For those of you who are wondering where to get Dusty Attic product, I've added a listing in my right side of my blog with links to retailers who sell DA product in the USA & Canada.  (If you are a retailer and would like me to add you to my side panel just let me know :)
So, if you are wanting to try out Anna's style and are ready to take the challenge, you can find the challenge link HERE

I have one more little project to share that I made up last week for the Bo Bunny blog.  I am really not much of a card maker but I was assigned to do a card using Bo Bunny products and the focus was to make your own blooms.  I made this card using the Gabrielle collection and used the fringe trim that comes with this collection to make the larger bloom on the card.  Easily done, just using a needle and thread run a slipstitch along the bottom edge of the trim, gather and join the two ends.  I then adhered the trim to a small disc of cardstock to give it stability and used a pearl gem and small crystals from the Gabrielle collection to create the flower center.  The smaller blooms were punched from some Timepiece paper (Dot), the petals outlined with black pen and curled slightly. 

I decided to make a Friendship card since that is the type of card I find myself reaching for most often.  You can find more inspiring card ideas at the Bo Bunny Blog

And speaking of friends.....I wanted to take this opportunity to wish some dear friends of mine who were on the My Creative Scrapbook Design Team with me for many years, much success and happiness in their future endeavors!  Gerry Van Gent, Sandie Vincent, Patti Hamil and Jeni O'Connor have recently stepped down from the MCS design team and although I did leave them a message at the farewell post at MCS, it seems to have mysteriously disappeared so I'd like to take the opportunity to post it here for them, I just copied and pasted my message here instead so you girls can see it....
"Awww, Gerry you always brought each and every kit you worked with to a new level! Your work is always spectacular my friend!! I'm sure you will be greatly missed, as I'm sure Sandie, Patti and Jeni are too! Not sure I saw a farewell to them here so wishing you all best of luck in all your new endeavours ladies! xx



It's amazing how you become like a family when you work so closely with your fellow design team members, you get to know them, their families, their ups and downs, you laugh with them, cry with them and above all hold them dear.  We'll keep in touch for sure my dear friends! xx


24 comments:

Paulien van den Bosch said...

OMG...... What a S T U N N I N G page that is!!!!!! I love everything you did here. gosh.... so beautiful!!!!!!
Also that lovely card.... I just adore it.

Like you.... I would like to wish, Gerry - Patti - Jeni - Sandie, nothing but the best!!!!
I am sure you all will be missed
*BIG TIME* at mcs.

Rachael Elliott said...

Absolutely stunning! I love how you use the Dusty Attic chipboard on your pages, so inspirational I am definitely going to have to try and find some over here. Beautiful card too, love the large bloom.
Thank you for popping over to my blog again Gabrielle, I really appreciate your comment xx

Bellaidea said...

STUNNING/BEAUTIFUL page!
I like to visit you a lot and see your new creations, best regards!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Gabi, for your sweet words! You know they mean a lot to me! I`m sure you, Patti, Sandie and Jeni will be greatly missed at MCS....you, girls are such an inspiration to so many!!!!!!

Your layout is absolutely amazing, my friend! This style suits you a lot! And how creative is this to make your own Glimmer mist! Beautiful and very inspiring work!

Hugs ~Gerry~

kissinia said...

Absolutely brilliant page! Love every single detail!

The Sparkly Fairy said...

wow! what an amazing layout

Anonymous said...

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOD This is stunning, gosh I feel so inspired now I just want to rush off to my scraproom......Amazing piece of art!!!

Romy said...

Oh wow...I always run out of words when it comes to commenting on your pages. They are all absolutely divine and this one is definitely no exception. I love everything you did with the mixed media and with the gears. Amazing work!

And I also wanted to wish Sandie, Patti, Jeni and Gerry all the best. You will be missed so much, girls:(

Sandie said...

WOW WOW WOW Gabi that page is just pure brilliance! It makes me want to scrap right now!!! And thank you for your lovely message, and I wish Patti, Gerry and Jeni all the best, and I know we'll all stay in touch xx

unni's scrappeboble said...

ÅÅÅÅÅÅÅ HERLIGHET noe sååååå fantastisk flott, ble helt stum av beundring :))))))))

phamil said...

Awww, Gabi, thank you so much!!! I wish you, Gerry, Sandie, and Jeni much success as well. You don't know how much I appreciate your sweet words and support along with the rest of my sweeties!!!!

As for the DA page.....my jaw hit the floor, it may be Finn's style, but it's "your" drop dead gorgeous kind of page. All the stitching, and those chipboard pieces, I have to have some of that wire fence looking pieces!! Your card is awesome too, I have a hard time with cards!!! The colors on that page are beautiful too, I've tried to do that with alcohol ink, but mine didn't work, loL!!!!

Beautiful work, and thanks so much my sweet friend!!!

Vicky Alberto said...

Is there not a style you can't master? That lo is AMAZING!!! Thanks for recently dropping by my blog - always a treat (an honour) to have you comment on my work.

Fran Brunke said...

Zowie - when you set out to be inspired by someone, you really go all out! Your l/o is superb. One day I hope to be brave enough to tackle such a challenge.

Keren Tamir said...

beautiful, stunning, gorgeous, I don't know what other words to use!! there are so many!!

Melissa Vettorel said...

Wow Gabi...I can't stop looking at your page, it's so gorgeous. I've always admired Finnabair's style and you definitely did a great job.

I also wanted to add that you, Patti, Sandie, Gerry, and Jeni are all greatly missed and I wish you all the best!!

Patty O'Malley said...

I'm always excited when I see your new creations! You come up with so many amazing ideas and tips. Love the layout and card, of course! Will also miss the girls leaving MCS--all their work, as well as your's, is always so inspirational but at least we can still visit their blogs.

Cindy Gay said...

Great job on the Finn page. Your tones are great.

LISA said...

I have been a fan of Anna's for a long time now. I have been playing with her style lately, and just have to say, you put the Gabi twist into your LO. Gorgeous girlfriend!! Absolutely gorgeous!!

Jolaine Frias said...

Absolutely stunning page Gabi! One of the things I love about you is how your style keeps evolving. This particular style suits you to a T! Tuly inspirational!

I was sad to see you left MCS but it's comforting to know your talent is shared here and other sites as well.

I also wanted to wish Sandie, Patti, Jeni and Gerry all the best.

Hugs,
Jolaine

Shell said...

WOW Gabi This page is truly beautiful. U have embraced Finn's style so wonderfully!

I am a bit sad that so many wonderful & gorgeous girls have left MCS. I still miss ur work there Gabi & I will also miss my Aussie pal Jen, Patti, Sandi & Gerri's work & beatiful words

How nice that u posted a special message for the girls. Its a bit like an end of an era with u all going at the same time!

Patricia said...

fabulous...

Karen Wilson said...

I love that Finn inspired layout, it's gorgeous! I am meaning to play along with the challenge. Hoping to make time tonight! Would love to give her style a go.TFS!

Jeni O'Connor said...

Hey Gabi. I just can't believe this stunning lo. What an awesome creation. You clever chickie!
Fabulous work with the oranges too.

Thanks for the lovely message. Such a lovely gang who are MCS's great loss.
Jx

Catherine SIWCZAK said...

oh I love this layout ! The mixed media style is amazing and I love the qay you use chipboards and stuff like gears ! And the inks, the paint !!! wow !!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails