Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Webster's Pages & Dusty Attic, Playing with Negative Space!

I love trying out many different scrapping styles, so for me doing a page each month that is inspired by the Guest Designer for the month over at Webster's Pages is a really fun thing!  This months Guest Designer is Trina McClune, many of you are probably familiar with her beautiful pages.  The layouts we were given to take our inspiration from were done in the 'negative  space' style of scrapping.....that is to say, that there are open clean spaces on the page.  I have to admit, I thought this page would be quick and easy but I found it to actually be a really big challenge!  Showing restraint is a lot harder than you think!  The title of my layout is sort of self explanitory, my youngest is sometimes hard to coax a smile out of her.  In this pic you can just barely see her smile starting to surface....so I thought Mona Lisa Smile would be a good title! lol!

I used paper from the Country Estate collection from Webster's pages, along with the Princess Petals blooms, Fabric Ribbon, stamps and the pretty Silhouttes/cameo from Websters....and of course my favourite scripted font alpha stickers from Websters...just love that design!

The chipboard pieces I used for this page are of course from Dusty Attic!  I used a couple of the small Baroque Corners #DA0543 to make the framework for the title on this page, and I used one of the smaller Skelleton Clock #DA0430 pieces to frame the photo. I also layered on an extra element to the clock, I used the new Leafy Stems #DA0566 right on top of the frame to create a slightly more ornate look to the frame.  I also used one of the smaller Wrought Iron Trim DA0547 pieces to underscore the second part of my title.  Here is a close-up view of the layerd Leafy Stem on the Skelleton clock design.  ( I simply used some pink, gold (Platinum) and Lime Green Stickles on this piece to add little bling to the design)....


I had to keep reminding myself not to add more and more to the page as is my habit, but I couldn't resist some Princess Petals and Websters Cameos/Silhouettes.....and at the end I couldn't hold back from adding that new Dusty Attic Wrought Iron Trim piece to underscore my title.  Here are a couple of close-up pic's of the chippies I used around the title work (I simply slathered on the Platinum color Stickles for these pieces)...


To see the layouts of Trina's that inspired this page and to see the pages done by the rest of the DT drawing inspiration from Trina's work, check out the post at Websters Pages welcoming Junes Guest Designer, the fabulous Trina McClune!  Thanks so much for stopping by!


21 comments:

Susan said...

Very pretty, Gabi! Once I started trying negative space layouts, I found that I really love them and find myself doing negative space more often.

This is just beautiful!

My blog is HERE

Fran Brunke said...

Just stunning. There is not one thing that does not "belong". Love the select layering on the DA pieces.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing and for the link to the rest of the Design Team - I've just spent some time looking and will be going back for a longer look later!

Елена Дашкевич said...

WOW! Очень-очень красиво, супер!

Carmen said...

It's just beautiful Gabby! I struggle with pages of any type!

Tamikko said...

How do you do it? You always amaze me with your beauty and attention to detail. It amazes me, also, that you come up with fresh ways to do your lo's.
Absolutely stunning Gabi :)

Romy said...

Wow, you did an amazing job on the negative space! Your layout is so beautifully feminine. Just love what you did with the scrolls and the clock from Dusty Attic and the fussy cut flowers are gorgeous too. I see what you mean with the negative space thing. I often try to do something like that myself too, but I always end up using every corner of my layout though;)

Jolanda said...

wow,this is very pretty!!

Unknown said...

wow this also stunning great job.. on the negative space!love it!!

hugs carla

Unknown said...

Hi sweetie,
I`m dropping by to see your latest layout. It tuned out simply amazing! This neg space suits your style perfectly. What a prefect title for this beautiful girl! You do always magic with DA chippies!
Love your work, Gabi and I feel always so inspired after visiting you :-)
Have an awesome day with your beautiful family!
Cheers my friend! :-)
Hugs ~Gerry~

Patty O'Malley said...

This is so pretty! Love those chipboard pieces!

Cindy Gay said...

So pretty!

Anonymous said...

your work is so incredible and your girls always have such beautiful flowered halos on in your photo's and they are all so different, I am assuming that you make them?, was wondering if you would ever consider doing a tutorial or sharing a few tips with us on how you make them?
So greatly appreciated and always inspired, thanks for always sharing your talent with us!

Lizzyc said...

oh this is stunning.. i love the simplicity but the impact is amazing.. the photo and the embellys don't need anything else on the layout.. always a pleasure to pop in here..

CaninosArtisticCafe said...

This is a beautiful layout. Of course I don't think I've seen a layout that you've done that I don't like lol. I just love your style and LOVE how you keep adding more all those little details are just amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

Sherry

fairysparkle said...

Hello you are an amazing scrapbooker i love your work its inspiring .I too love white space .x

Melawi said...

There is still a lot of beautiful pages here !!! I'm just coming from the TCR blog, and I just wanted to say to you "Big Congrats" !!! Hugs xxx Melawi

~Etoile~ said...

really beautiful, your page relieve sweetness and delicacy

LG said...

Love, love, love this layout that you made. Great color combination and the design is outstanding. What lovely photos to scrap too.

Paulien van den Bosch said...

I am so so sooooooo in love with this page!!!! you always have the most gorgeous details on your work. beautiful work!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Reply to the Annoymous post re: head bands (sorry I have to post here since I couldnt link to your site to reply....

A lot of the headbands are actually store bought but some are hand made, If you look in the rightside column under tutorials I showed a step by step on how I made one of them. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails