Monday, February 11, 2013

How to 'Catch' Your Dreams!

Hi Everyone!  It's me, Gabi here with you today to share my project and tips for February! I fell in love with this Dream Catcher #1 chippie the minute I saw it! (there is also another beautiful Dream Catcher design available as well)....I just loved the fine detailing in this one!  When I got this sweet photo of my adorable great niece Jade with her cute piggy-tails and faux-fur vest, I knew this chipboard piece would be the perfect accent for my page.  I thought first off I would share a small step in prepping my papers before I started embellishing this page.  I cut two layers of complimentary papers, for this page I use papers from Maja Design from their Walk in the Forest collection (top paper is cut about 1 centimeter in from the edges) and edge distressed with my Tim Holtz Edge Distressor tool.  
I then did a little dry brushing with some of the new Dusty Attic Paints (Oceania, Mountain Meadow).  I then added random strips of scripted Washi tape on two edges (Tim Holtz Washi tape), slightly crinkling the tape as I went.  The third step was to do some random machine stitching (see above).
 
I then prepped my Dream Catcher chippie using the following steps: 
Step 1:  I gave the whole piece two coats of the Dusty Attic Navajo White paint.
Step 2:  I used some brown chalk ink (Colorbox - Chestnut Brown) to softly ink all the edges....be gentle with your piece as you are doing this as the piece is delicate. 
Step 3: I took a brown ink pen (I used the Martha Stewart detailing pen) and just doodled in a bunch of detailing on the feathers and twine designs.
Step 4:  I thought it would be fun to add some 'real' dream catcher detailing to the piece by stringing some seed beads on a piece of wire and attaching them to the loops in the chipboard (see above).  I also added some real feathers just beneath the chipboard strands when I glued the piece down. 
Here is some close-up detailing on the bottom of the Dream Catcher.  I used some aqua beads with silver accents to stay in keeping with my page colors. 
Here's a close-up of the upper portion of the Dream Catcher.  I glued some random seed beads over the netting part of the chipboard to give the piece a more authentic look. 
I did a little bit of stamping in the bottom corner with some wildflower stamps an added my title rubon over the painted area.  I added some floral and twine accents as well as a small Dusty Attic Postage Stamp chippie simply glued on in it's natural state. 
And here are all the Dusty Attic Products I used on this page:
Chipboard:  Dusty Attic Dream Catcher #1, Postage Stamps, Corrugated Card
Paint: Dusty Attic Paints (Navajo White, Oceania, Mountain Meadow)
 
Before I finish up my post for today I thought I would also show you a little ATC I made up for the February ATC challenge over at Dusty Attic.  This months theme is 'Love'.  I used the postage stamp chippie as well as the Lock & Key chips for this project.  The papers I used are from the new Websters Pages 'Modern Romance' collection and the lacy heart is from the Websters Pages 'Designer Threads' embellishments package.
 
There are so many new and wonderful chippies in the new releases, I hope I've inspired you give this one a try! 

25 comments:

morkaren said...

Hold da op, jeg er helt betaget, du har lavet et LO, hvor man tænker på indianer, passer godt til din lille piges fletninger og skindvest, jeg er meget vild med det, det er så fantasifuldt og flot. knus morkaren.

Scrapthat said...

TOTALLY Awesome detail in the dreamcatcher Gabi!! Beautiful as always girl!

Tracy said...

I don't comment here too often although I am definitely a stalker. LOL However, I just couldn't see this and not tell you how amazing it is. The detailing you added to the dream catcher is incredible and added so much character to that chippie piece. Thanks so much for sharing all your wonderful ideas, tips, and tricks! :-)

Keren Tamir said...

Just amazing artwork on the dream catcher!! love the effect its just fantastic!! love the ATC too. well I love everything you make!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

A gorgeous LO. Amazing work on the dreamcatcher diecut - the doodling is amazing! Thanks too for showing how you build the page - I really appreciate that! And the ATC is just sooo gorgeous!

dkjones said...

Everytime I visit your site I am amazed at your beautiful artwork - no two pages are ever the same - you manage to come up with a different design everytime! How do you do that???? That dreamcatcher is amazing and I come by and am absolutely blown away at your creativity. Thank you so much for sharing your work and inspiring me!!!
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and unique as always! Your ATC card is gorgeous! and the 2 L/O's are beautiful and captures my heart! Such an inspiration! Thanks ever so much for the tutorials, etc. you offer!!!!

cvanholstein said...

So very pretty Gabrielle!!
kind regards, Corina

Lilka said...

Cudownie!!! Jestem pod wrażeniem Twojej twórczości!
Pozdrawiam :)

Romy said...

Your lay-out couldn't have been any more perect for those sweet photos of your great niece. I just love the colours, the painted details and all the lovely touches of texture. Fabulous work, Gabi!

Gitte said...

It is soo beautiful your layout. So many great details.

Lynn said...

This is beautiful. I love the way you detailed the dream catcher along with all the washi tape and stitching.

scrappymo! said...

Gorgeous layout and a stunning tag!
Thanks for showing us how you build your pages...
You have so many details and layers that we sould miss out on everything that is on them if you didn't expalin.
I love them both...love the distressing, the wood accents, the colours, the machine stitching...love it all

Carol W. said...

WOW the Dream catcher is stunning - amazing details! Love the colors of the layout - fabulous! The ATC is beautiful and feminine! Thank you for sharing!

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

Hi Gaby...I saw this stunning dream catcher page at The Dusty Attic Blog yesterday and surely don't want to miss this stunning design of yours on your blog :) Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! TFS the tips. The tag is a beauty too.
Hugs and smiles,
Asmah

Patty O'Malley said...

I can't tell you how many times my breath caught while looking at these gorgeous projects! My mouth is still hanging open! I love that layout and all the amazing details. And that ATC!! I just love little treasures like them. sigh, sigh, sigh!

Sandra said...

Gaby these are so very beautiful and thanks you for sharing your Dream Catcher technique, I am definitely getting one of those. The papers are gorgeous too and your layout showcases everything so well.

Cindy Gay said...

The dry brush tip is especially nice.

Bev. said...

How could I click-off without telling you how devine your layout is Gabbi? Your painting, stamping, washi tape technique...and gorgeous colours! I'm all inspired again...thank-you!

Tone-Lill said...

Thanks for the tutorial. The finished page turned out awsome. Love all those little bead details, it looks fantastic with chipboard. The ATC is adorable, amazing how you fit in all those little blings :)

mommyx2 said...

You are just an amazing artist. Every day I visit your blog and I am in awe of your talent. I thank you kindly for always sharing your tips and secrets. You have inspired me for years now although I haven't always commented. The way you transformed the dream catcher is spectacular!!

Lise said...

A gorgeous LO. Amazing work on the dreamcatcher diecut - the doodling is amazing! Thanks too for showing how you build the page - I really appreciate that! And the ATC is also gorgeous!
Have a nice day:-))

Vicky Alberto said...

Really amazing details and tips - this is a masterpiece Gabi!

Lizzyc said...

Wow.. the photos are perfect for the chippie dream catcher.. and love how pretty it all looks.. and the card is so beautiful.. absolutely love the lock in the center..

Judy said...

What a beautiful layout, and fabulous colors. Adorable picture too.

xo
Judy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails