Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Maja February Mood Board Challenge - Pulled edge Tutorial

Every month Maja Design has this really cool Mood Board Challenge going....it's a really fun and inspirational board that suggests colors, text, embellishments and moods.  This months mood board was made to work with the Vintage Summer Basics collection but there are many other Maja Design papers that work really well with the mood board as well.  I just love using the mood board to inspire a page.  I loved the feminine pretty photos in the mood board and I chose a number of the words to use on my page like 'lace', 'pearls', 'shades of misty rose', 'pale peach', 'beauty', 'flowers' and 'shimmer'.   And what a beautiful poem, just the thing to put you in the mood for scrapping! Here is the mood board for February if you want to play along (there is a beautiful Maja collection up for grabs for the winner!! See challenge rules at this link Maja February Mood Board Challenge
 I wanted to get a nice soft feminine effect on the page so I started out with 2 layers of patterned papers from the Maja Design collection called 'Vintage Summer Basics' (1908-bs, 1921, 1925) and some torn strips from the 6x6 paper pad from the same collection.
Although I had these pretty new papers to work with I wanted to be practical and use some of my older stash as well.  I have all these lovely rub-on's that I've been hoarding from my days on the Daisy D's design team and I figured I will eventually have to stop hoarding and use them right? lol. 
 
The 'Life is Good' title is from one of the Daisy D's  rub-on sheets and the white lace design is a rub-on from another Daisy D's rub-on sheet I had. 
I first did a little bit of inking with a make-up sponge and some Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet Distress Ink, I think it's the perfect color to match the pinks in the Maja collection.  This also allowed the white lace rub-on to show up better on the patterned paper.  Here are more close-ups of the page....
Now I have to let you know that I've had a number of people ask how I get the paper to pull down when I do those little peek-a-boo edges.  Sometimes it's just easier to do a little video tutorial than to explain it.  So I got my oldest daughter to hold the camera while I recorded a little piece for you to see how I do it.  I have to appologize in advance about the sound quality on this video piece, my daughter taped it with my phone camera and I'm thinking she may have had her hand over the speaker while taping some parts.  But I think you'll still see how easy it is to do when you watch the clip....

Here is another close-up of one of the pulled back paper edges.  The key for sure is that you want to use a nice heavy weight paper that can take the paper manipulation...and you can find that in the Maja Design papers, they are a great quality paper!
 And finally I wanted to mention the lovely chipboard pieces I used on the this page.  The loopy sweet vine you see on my page edges is a new one from Dusty Attic called 'Swirly Vines #3' and the floral chippie that I used to frame my photo is one called 'Floral Corners' that I cut up so that it would wrap around the photo.  Below are a couple of steps is did in making up the frame design.  The actual first step is to paint your chipboard white and then tint the leafy areas with some green chalk ink.  Then you want to glue your chipboard pieces to your layout.  Continue with the steps below...
I like to fill in the petal areas with a bit of Glossy Accents after the Stickles dry just because I find the Stickles dry fairly flat and I love the thick glossy look they have when they are wet.  Adding the Glossy accents keeps that glossy thick look to the petals.
 
I hope these tips and tutorials have helped!  If you every have any questions and would like to see a demonstration of techniques I use on my pages just leave a comment and ask....I'll see what I can do about getting tutorials posted.  And if you would like to play along this month in the Maja February Mood Board Challenge you can find the rules for the challenge there as well (the main rules being that you please resize your photos to 600x600 pi and that you not put on any watermarks for the challenge page entry....also that you must use some Maja Design papers to enter the challenge).  We had loads of entries last month and look forward to seeing your creations this month as well!


18 comments:

Арина-Валерия said...

Thank you very much for your advice! I liked the page!

angel said...

Piękne LO!:)

morkaren said...

Smuk LO og hvor ser det godt ud med glitter lim, det vil jeg prøve. knus morkaren.

Lynn said...

I love what your creating with the Maja collections. Your project is gorgeous. I love your tutorial. You daughter did a awesome job with the video! Have a wonderful day!

HappyScrappin said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. One of the many things I love about you is your generosity in sharing. Your work is amazing and so inspirational. Hugs Mary

Unknown said...

What iful projrct,your attention to detail is stunning,thanks for sharing your talent and the tutorials are great.Take Care Jacqueline.S

Keren Tamir said...

Stunning LO and details Gabi!! Love the design! Always so gorgeous

Romy said...

What an amazing project with such a gorgeous frame for that photo. I love how you used the Maja Design papers and the swirls. I knew you would rock this moodboard :)

Sandra said...

Thank you very much for the visual tutorial, I love this idea and your layout looks beautiful with all the special detail, especially the glitter petals on the chipboard flowers.

Patty O'Malley said...

Always a beautiful layout! Love the way the paper is pulled back; thanks for sharing your tips.

Cindy Gay said...

Thank you for the tutorial! Love your bracelets! Beautiful page.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love this look! It adds so much texture and dimension to your gorgeous, gorgeous page. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm always left gobsmacked by your fabulous art!

Lizzyc said...

Hi.. What a beautiful pretty layout.. love how you have used the chipboard pieces.. love the colors, love the folded edges.. and thanks for sharing your techniques with us too!

cheap logo design said...

It is incredible piece of work with amazing paper designs. After read your post and see this gorgeous work i learn a lot of thing.

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Gabrielle. I chanced upon your blog today am smitten. I have not created an scrapbooks for myself yet, and you have inspired me. Love making cards, and your tutorial today has me wanting to try your technique. I am your newest follower. Thank you so much for sharing your designs and ideas.

Unknown said...

Hi Gabrielle,

Just wanted to thank you for sharing. Your layouts are exceptional and inspirational. Words don't do justice in describing them....
Regards
Melanie (South Africa)

Danica said...

Thanks for the tip on using the glossy accents over the dried stickles! I also love the way stickles look when they're wet, and can't wait to try this.

Gladys Arenas Franco said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails