Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Getting Grungy with Dusty Attic and Maja Design


Hello my friends, I've got a fun layout to share with you today some of my all time favorite Maja Design papers, and a cool technique that I used on my Dusty Attic Chipboard!  As many of you already know about me, I'm a mom of two girls, so most of my scrapbooking is done in a feminine style.  But recently a friend of mine sent me a whole bunch of photos of her children that she wanted me to scrap. Although she has beautiful little girls, she also has an adorable little boy! So I was thrilled to have the opportunity to do a masculine 'boy' style page.

  Walking-in-the-forest-P
When I saw the cute little plaid shirt that her son was wearing in the pic, I immediately thought of the perfect 'Flannel' shirt and 'Jeans' papers from the Walking In the Forest collection.  I added in some of the clock elements from the Vintage Autumn Basics collection and I had some lovely papers to get started.


Dusty Attic Product used on this page:
- String Circle frame set (small)
-barb wire #2
- Zippers
- Jumbo Cogs
-  Cogs #1
- Nuts and Bolts
- Chicken Wire Panel small
- Word Pack #6 (not shown above) Title
- Dusty In Color: Hot Chocolate, Sunburnt Orange, Gingernut, Raisin
-Rusting Powder

I used a variety of Dusty Attic product for this page design including some of their paints and their very cool Rusting Powder.  I actually created this page kit for a special retreat that Jennifer Hedger (owner of Dusty Attic) and a bunch of the lovely ladies in Australia have been on for the past few days.  Sadly I was not able to make the time to join all the sweet ladies in Australia for this retreat but I was happy to create this page kit for them to enjoy as part of their fun little getaway!  I believe Jennifer will be offering this kit to the public when she gets back from their retreat....(I'll keep you all posted on that).  

  closeup 1

All the chipboard I used on this page is from Dusty Attic Designs.  I had a lot of fun with my chipboard pieces.  I thought I would go for a nice rusty finish....they look like real rusty metal don't they!  What I did to get this effect is first I painted the chipboard pieces with some Dusty Attic paints (Hot Chocolate, Raisin and Gingernut), I kind of dabbed on the colors with a sponge dauber, randomly placing my color.  While the paint was still wet, I sprinkled some Dusty Attic Rusting Powder over sections of my chipboard, allowing some of the paint color underneath to show through. This gave my pieces a nice mottled look.  The next step in rusting is to take a spray bottle and put some white vinegar in it....spritz your pieces with the vinegar, then allow your pieces to begin rusting. The process takes about 20 minutes to a half hour.  I sped up the process a bit by hitting it with the heat gun. I also dry brushed some Dusty Attic Paint in Sunburnt Orange over a section here and there to get an even more mottled rusty look to my pieces.


Here is another close-up of the rusted chipboard pieces.  I also tucked in clock cut outs from the Vintage Autumn Basics (XVI) collection, applied with some foam pop dots and then used some Stickles (Platinum) around the edges of the clocks.

  closeup3

I created the rusted ruler by cutting out a strip of chipboard and then using some of my homemade texture paste and the Tim Holtz 'Measured' stencil on it.  I then painted the piece and used the rusting powder on it the same as I did for the other chippies. I also made use of a Crafters Workshop stencil, appropriately named mini 'Specimens' which I used to create more design behind the photo on the 'Jeans' paper.

Another design element I went with was the zipper opening.  I used this twice on the page, at the top right corner of the page and a small 'V' cut in the 'Flannel Shirt' paper on the right side of the photo. I just cut a little tear into the papers and inserted another Dusty Attic chipboard piece into the groove (Dusty Attic Zippers)....I treated these pieces with some metalic paint as well.

  closeup4

I took one of the chain chipboard pieces and gently bent it to get this curved hanging chain look.  I painted the piece with some bronze dimensional metalic paint (Scribbles) and then added a bead of the 3D paint along the straight lines of the chain to give more of a 3D look to the chain.

Oops, how did that lace get in there?! LOL....well, at least I resisted adding blooms right?  So there is my take on a masculine 'boy' style page.  Hope you enjoyed seeing my project and that I've inspired you to scrap the boys/men in your life. xo


43 comments:

Samra said...

WOW!! Gorgeous layout Gabrielle!! Love all the rusted gears, your home made ruler, the zippers, everything!!! This is the coolest masculine project I have seen! Thank you for the inspiration :)

Lizzyc said...

Hi There, I am just blown away by this.. I love the photo of that sweet boy after a good day in the yard, looking how a boy should look.. happy with dirt!! and the chip board you have grunged up look just like the old cogs and machinery that used to lay around in my dads shed, old used and rusty..just perfect.. love the design, and the whole feel of this page is country to me...love everything about this..you created masculine so well... thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog too.. enjoy the rest of the week!!

_Nikolka_ said...

super!!!!!!

_Nikolka_ said...

super!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! I absolutely adore these papers and in total adoration of this page! Holy crow it is awesome! (Can you feel the excitement over here?) This is truly amazing! Would you post a tutorial on how to 'rust' your chippies? I'm sure you would have an overwhelming response! Well done :)

Tracee said...

Gorgeous, I love that rusty look Wow Tx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my goodness is that ever so cool, love how you achieved that rusty look, fantastic work, she is going to be thrilled with this page you did for her!

Carole Wright said...

HI Gabby, wow this is adorable, love it lots. x

Kerstin F. said...

Stunning!! what a fantastic colour scheme and I love the faux rustic elements! Gorgeous!!!!

bolletjelucky.blogspot.com said...

Wow, this masculin style LO blows me away. I'm totally in love with the way you achieved the rusty look on the chipboard. It looks so real that I thought..how does she keep this heavy stuff on the paper..LOL.. Top of the class Gabrielle...
Greetings Miranda

Danoesja said...

Hi Gabrielle
This LO is awesome with this lovely boy and rusty chipboard pieces and all these other details like the zipper and clock elements. This is a good inspiration for me because i have two boy's, not so little anymore but we have a lot of pictures from a long time ago. Thanks for sharing this technique.
Greetings, Danoesja

Moore Art From The Heart said...

Your work is so amazing! I'm inspired every time I see a piece of your art. I truly in love with rusty elements so this layout spoke volumes to me. Thanks you for sharing. xxx Laurie Moore

Kathy G. said...

Such a fantastic layout and what a precious little boy. I can't wait to try the DA Rusting Powder. You totally rocked this!

Katy said...

GORGEOUS!!! Love that all your "metal" elements really aren't metal at all! And...LOVE...that this is a boy layout...it's easy to find frilly GIRL layouts but hardly ever see the boy layouts!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, awesome design!! I have a little boy and I have trouble with layouts for him. Most of the pages with him include my daughter. Such great inspiration and colour combination- I need to find some plaid papers :)
Thank you!!

Kathy Bradley said...

GORGEOUS - can I say that for a masculine page - I guess I just did!! Each of the rusted elements, the papers, zippers, modeling paste are all perfect. And, the papers, denim and flannel - how perfect for that most adorable little boy - who looks quite happy and content just where he is. Again, I love this page - it turned out amazing and thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Stunning -- as usual Gabrielle. And your subject is just the cutest.

Paula Calvanico said...

The treatment to the chippie is fantabulous! What a stunning all boys piece. You are amazing and am so glad to always have you for inspiration <3

Paula xoxo

Ann said...

Love, love, love!

Romy said...

Wow, you just totally rocked the masculine and grungy look on this lay-out! It's absolutely amazing!

Sherrie K. said...

Wow!!! This is AMAZING!!! I love all the elements and fun textures and dimension! Beautiful design~great inspiration!
Sherrie K

Maureen Killen said...

Hi Gabrielle,
This is something else. Just adorable, like the little boy. But I have learnt that you can get chipboard zips. I've always used the dressmaking kind, how old fashioned am I?
Maureen xx

Martie Rollin said...

Who would guess that all that rust is really just chipboard? An amazing use of a new technique. Thanks for introducing us to this product.

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic! Love that unexpected bit of lace.

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Wow Gabi totally stunning and so fab! I love the how you rusted everything and the blue colors. Like myself, I just do girly stuff too. You soooooo rocked this project. Keep it coming!
Love & Huggies!!!!!

Beverley said...

Fantastic layout and what an adorable little boy!! Your rusted
chipboard looks SO real - thanks for sharing your technique Gabi. (I think, if we may, many of us will be "giving it a go" on our son/grandson layouts!).

hippychic said...

Amazing such beautiful work :)

Tiziana said...

Rimango senza parole per ogni tuo lavoro, anche questo Lo è davvero incantevole come il protagonista, e gli inserti sembrano cosi reali. Bravissima Gabrielle !!

Brenda said...

What a stunning LO.. I wish i could lay my hands on this range with 4 wee grandsons i can see it working in lots of ways.. Love all the bits and yay to rusting powder looks amazing....

Janene said...

You know how to make some great rust! :) Fabulous as always!

Laura said...

Incredible. Those are wood zippers??? Amazing how you curved them to look like that. And the chain too. Are they bendable like that or do you have a trick to make them bend but not break?
Where abouts from Canada are you from? Off to see if you have a video on it. xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Laura, the zippers, chains etc. are chipboard (thick cardboard), yes, I just gently bend it to fit the the shaoe of tge design I am looking for. I'm in Cambridge Ontario. Thanks for your kind words on my work! xo

HappyScrappin said...

Wow Gabi!! Truly amazing layout!! Love the rust and grunge look surrounding the blue papers. Just perfect for this adorable little boy!! Thank you for always being so generous in sharing how you achieve your creative work!! Hugs ~~ Mary ~~ Abbygirlsb.com

mamablitger said...

Gabrielle ......as always I LOVE and ADORE your layouts. You are so extremely creative, so clever and such a fabulous artist. Gosh I'm happy being able to follow your blog. You are such an awesome source of inspiration to me. Thanks a lot for sharing your pretty art...
This masculine piece is really something extraordinary from your style and it is so interesting to study all your fab details. Love all parts of it. Impressing that you succeeded in avoiding adding any flowers. Just a tiny bit of lace...lol
So pretty and impressing work !
Hugs from Monica.... Spain

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

You are so sweet Monica, thanks so much for your kind word, you mafe my day. xo xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Mary, your kind words put a smile on my face! xo xo

theCook said...

Gorgeous rusted effect, love it!

REM said...

I adore your work. I have two boys and I feel inspired watching your fabulous layout. I can't wait to see the next one. Thank you for share your techniques.

Unknown said...

Hello again Gabrielle, as usual, I'm sitting here creeping your blog instead of sleeping but then sleeping is overrated anyway. I was wondering if you'd ever done a video tutorial of how to get the rust finish on your chipboard pieces. I usually have a good imagination for this kind of thing but I'm having a hard time visualize what you did...

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Liz, I didnt do a video tutorial for this one but I did do a pictorial step by step that goes with the kit. Janene, at The Scrapbook Diaries is putting a limited number of these kits together (she is just waiting on the chipboard to come from Dusty Attic), and Jennifer Hedger at DA is putting a bunch of these kits up at her website as well for Australian customers. In the meantime, You may want to check out a little post I did in 2013 on using Cinnamon as rusting powder. http://gabriellepollacco.blogspot.ca/2013/11/dusty-attic-november-atc-theme-flying.html?m=0
I will try to do a video tutorial the next time I do a project using rusting powder ;)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Awesome work!!

Lisa Maxwell said...

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

Do you know if Dusty Attic still carries the Rusting Powder? I can't find it anywhere.

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Lisa, are you in Australia or USA or Canada? If you are in Australia, you are best buying the rusting powder direct from the Dusty Attic website...if you are in North America, I know that Janene at The Scrapbook Diaries was carrying it...Hope this helps!xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails