Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kanzashi Bloom Tutorial!! Fun handmade Fabric Blooms!!



I've been loving some of the fabric blooms I've seen coming out by my favourite manufacturers and thought I would show everyone how to make some wonderful blooms made from fabric scraps or ribbon pieces.

Kanzashi blooms are an ancient technique used by the Geisha girls in Japan. They would use left over scraps from their beautiful outfits to make these pretty fabric flowers for their hair and clothing. Above are some samples of blooms I made up using scraps of fabric and some cut ribbon pieces.

ROUND PETAL TECHNIQUE (See White bloom above)

Step 1 ~ Cut a square of fabric in the size you need for your project. I like to use pieces in sizes of 1" square up to 3" square for scrapbook pages.


Step 2 ~ Fold your square in half diagonally leaving the 'good' side of the fabric on the outside (bad side inside the fold)


Step 3 ~ With fold at the top of the triangle bring down point 'A' to point 'B'


Step 4 ~ Now do the same for the right side, bring down right side to meet in the middle, then flip the project over, you will have the folded edge at the top of the project


Step 5 ~ Keeping the folded edges at the top and raw edges at the bottom, fold in the right and left points to meet in the middle


Step 6 ~ Now bring both edges together again, essentially folding your project in half. Your finished petal will be the back edge of this fold (you will see 3 folded edge, this is the front of the petal)


Step 7 ~ As mentioned above the front of the petal is the edge with the 3 folds, you will round out the top of the petal to give it it's shape. Secure each petal with a pin or with a couple of small stitches (I prefer to use a couple of small stitches as it's easier to put the bloom together later if you're not fiddling with the extra pins)


Step 8 ~ Trim away extra fabric (below your stitch or pin)


Finishing your Bloom (Step 9)

With a need and thread string together all of the petals and tie off creating a ring (the less petals you use for your blooms the more fiddling it may take to create your circle of petals) I used 7 petals to make up the white bloom with the pearl centers. Add pearl or crystal beeds, metal pieces, crystal stickers, flower stamens, buttons.....whatever you like for centers to your blooms.


Here is a finished picture of a rounded petal bloom



Basic Pointed tip Kanzashi bloom Tutorial



Step 1 ~ Cut out several square pieces of fabric or ribbon (I used 6 pieces of 2" fabric for the above bloom.


Step 2 ~ Fold fabric in half diagonally ...good side of fabric on the outside....


Step 3 ~ With fold at the top of the triangle, fold in half again, bringing left side point to right side point.


Step 4 ~ You will now have 2 folds at the top. Bring down the right point to the bottom. Do the same with the other point except in the opposite direction.


Step 5 ~ You will now have 2 folded edges on the right side again. Bring this edge to the main middle fold (basically folding the flap in half)....do the same for the opposite side.


Step 6 ~ This is your completed pointed petal. It will look like the photo below on one side. It can be used like this for pointed petals (this also works very well for leaves). Finish off by securing with a couple stitched or a pin. Trim as shown in the diagrams for the rounded petal technique)


Step 7 ~ If you flip this petal over you will get a ruffled looking petal as show in the photo below......


Step 8 ~ Put petals together using the instructions above in the rounded petals technique. The example you see at the top of this tutorial shows a flower made using the backside of the pointed leaf. Below is a sample of a flower I made using the front side of the pointed petal technique (the orange petals)......I layered a smaller bloom made with the rounded petal design on top of it.


So if you have some pretty fabric scraps you've been saving or some wonderful ribbon, give this technique a go! The above bloom was made using sheer organza ribbons.

It's really quite easy to do once you've given the technique a try, my 11 year old daughter made this wine colour bloom using some sheer ribbon.


Experiment with different types of fabric.....I've seen this done with cotton, organza, silk, satin, linen and even with felted wool.....each giving a different effect.

During the holiday season there are so many shimmery, velvety pretty ribbons out there to experiment with!

Use on your scrapbook pages or even attach to hair combs or clips. Above all have fun with it!

~Gabrielle xxx

32 comments:

Rita Barakat said...

You always come up with the greatest ideas! With all the beautiful wide holiday ribbons out there you could really have fun with this!TFS!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Thank you for the tutorial. They are beautiful

Sandi Clarkson said...

Very pretty flowers, Gabi. thanks for the step by step.

Rhonda Van Ginkel said...

These are so beautiful - I can't wait to give them a try! I'd love to provide a link to your blog tutorial on my blog if you wouldn't mind.

Paper Paradise said...

Many years ago, my daughters bought me some amzin material squares which are still in a draw waiting to be used. This is just what I have been saving them for!!!! Thankyou for sharing such a brilliant technique, x

Paulien van den Bosch said...

Oh my gosh Gab's.... these flowers are sooooooooo BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much, for sharing this amazing tutorial.

zolushka said...

Спасибо большое, цветы великолепные!!

Sandy said...

You are awesome...thanx so much for sharing this with us...I love flowers on my layouts and hope to have time to try these soon...just fab!

chrisw said...

Beautiful Gabrielle,a little like my flowers,just love your tutorials,thanks for sharing!

Nikki Love said...

a perfect tutorial from start to finish!!! would love to share your tutorial with your link on my own blog. Just let me know if you want me if you wouldn't mind. I will not share unless you approve ;) Happy Monday and thanks again for sharing :D

LindaB said...

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing talent & instructions with us. I just love your creative works. . .

Angelica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angelica said...

Whoa Gabi!! That is awesome!!! TFS!!! You instructions are perfect!

Unknown said...

Wauwwwwwwwwwww love your flowers thanks for showing.
have lots of fun,Lean.

Cynthia Lloréns said...

Wow!!!!!Wonderful
Thanks for the great tutorial.
I will like to send to you a email, to invited you to be a DT in a blog in Brazil.
I hope you answer me.
Hugs Cynthia

Ki Kruk said...

Unbelievable Gabi! Absolutely gorgeous!

laterg8r said...

those are gorgeous - TFS :D

Morag Cutts said...

Thanks for the tutorial on those gorgeous flowers! I am going to have a very happy time trying them out!

Love all your projects - always so pretty!

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you thank you!!! I love you!!!

Thanks for helping me stick to my crafting budget....ummm nothing? lol I have to pay off bills before buying anything.

I have heaps of fabric scraps and cotton here at home - now i can make my own flowers.

My God richly bless you!
you are a life saver!

Annie Lou said...

This absolutely Wonderful And Excellant, Etc !!!!! Thank You -- Annie Lou

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are Amazing!! Thanks for sharing your techniques! This is my first time on this blog and I am just amazed at what you all do. I hope I can be as good someday.

Ashley Nicole said...

These flowers are absolutely amazing! You have inspired me to go out and buy some fabric to try and make my own. Thank you for sharing such wonderful techniques!

Sharon Field / Inky A*Muse-ment said...

Fabulous tutorial, very easy to follow! Can't wait to try it myself. Just found your blog, following too... Fabulous and beautiful work!

craftychick said...

What a beautiful and clever idea!! TFS!!

chrissy o said...

fabby flowers
chrissy o

Linaaa said...

Thank you very much,

I'm doing kanzashi flowers for few months.
But I didn't find on web different ways of folding them. I find only one like in your first tutorial.
Now I find your second tutorial and I'm so happy that now I know one way more of folding kanzashi flowers.
If you know where I can find the rest of ways to fold kanzashi flowers please tell me.

Thank you for making me happy with your tutorial.

Unknown said...

bende bir kez denemiştimde pek becerememiştim siz çok güzel açıklamış vede yapmışsınız tebrikler

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

so cute! i love them all

Fabric Bows and More said...

Love them, you have been featured on our blog: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/

Crafty Loops said...

Cant wait to try these thank you, Lee xx

Anonymous said...

these flowers are so cute! I will definitely have to give this a try!

Unknown said...

すてきですね
công ty xuất khẩu lao động nhật bản,xuất khẩu lao động nhật bản,xuất khẩu lao động đài loan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails