Friday, April 16, 2010

Don't be Afraid to Get Dirty....


I'm not new to using paints, sprays and other mediums on my scrapbook pages but I haven't used them a lot. Ever since I started working with the Dusty Attic laser cut designs I'm finding myself playing with paints, gloss, glitter glues and all sorts of mixed mediums a whole lot more. For the above l/o I worked with 2 wonderful laser-cuts, the first being the fairy design (in the top left corner). For this one I simply painted the whole thing white. Once it was dry I used a pencil and lightly sketched in the design I wanted (hair, fairy costume etc) Then I used my set of water color pencils and did a bit of coloring. After that I added a bit of brown chalk on the edges to get more definition (easy does it with this)....and finally I finished it with a variety of Stickles glitter glues (Platinum, WaterFall, Lavender, Pink, Diamond are a few of the Stickles colours I used). Here is a close up pic of the fairy......


The other piece I used was one of the flourish designs (right side of the photo). I went for a metalic look again on this one. I painted the whole thing first with some soft green paint and mixed in a little turquoise too. Now, here is the important part....Don't be afraid to get dirty!....I didn't use a paint brush. I simply dabbed my finger in the paint and splotched it on! Let the paint get a little lumpy and uneven in spots, it'll give a more natural look and a great texture, especially when you add the next step. Once the paint is dry take some bronze 3D metalic paint...again just using your finger splotch it on here and there, rubbing it in on some places and leaving it lumpy in others. Here is a close-up pic of the finished piece on my l/o....

Here is an extreme close-up of the flourish design so you can see what I mean about getting the paint on in a blotchy way and the effect it gives....


And finally, although I had a wonderful batch of Prima blooms to use on this l/o (thank-you Pam!) I thought it would be fun to try and make my own fabric center piece bloom for this l/o. I took a 12" strip of a shimmery burgundy silk fabric and gathered one of the long edges, then brought the 2 ends together. I did the same for the sheer grey/glitter fabric layer on top. In the middle I added on of those cute Prima 'centers' and viola! your own homemade fabric bloom. Here is a close-up picture.....

Okay, gotta run!....I just got my May MCS design team kits in the mail and OHMYGOSH! they are gorgeous!! I can wait to crack them open and play! Don't miss reveal day (May 5th) to see the beautiful goodies in next months kits! The LE kit might be my all time fav! ...shhhh!

~Gabrielle xxx

34 comments:

Carmen said...

This layout is gorgeous! There are so many aspects of it that I love! The homemade bloom is luscious!

Mieke said...

DOn't you just love painting? It's super, it just look like it's metal. Have a great weekend hon!

Jolanda said...

So beautiful,love all the details!This picture is fantastic.It all fits perfect togheter.
I'm a great fan of your work!

Romy said...

Wow, this is for sure my most favourite layout of you. I love the chipboard fairy and the gorgeous mix of papers and colours...wow!

angelwhispers said...

Gabrielle!!! This is awesome!! Just love the lazer cuts the fairy is fabulous and I just love how you have coloured her and I would never have said that the wings where stickles they are fabulous!!
The whole layout is just gorgeous and the hand made flower is perfect!!
So glad you took up this DT as we get to so more of your work and more often which is a bonus!!! Love it!! Have a great weekend Love Chanelle xx

Лилия said...

Gabrielle!! You are GRAET! Every time you show wonderful pages!

CraftyC said...

Wow, this is stunning. So much detail and beautifully embellished!
Clairex

Love crafts forever said...

Hi Gabrielle. I am so glad to see Beautiful project. Who is this little girl? She is gorgeous. Nataliya.

Pearl said...

I love it that you simply finger painted on the flourish chipbpard !! great texture & your fairy turned out beautiful too with all the stickles !!!

Unknown said...

ooo i love what you did with the paint, you are so creative!! the prima flowers are gorgeous, fabulous page!!

tesascrap said...

It´s a wonderful layout. I love your scrap, plenty of details.
Hugs.

Tina said...

Absolutely STUNNING, Gabbie!! xo

Cass. said...

Oh wow...i love this. Great color...which i always love the colors you pick :) And the little fairy...how cute is that!?!
Love it Gabi :)
Cass.

KmoRakefet said...

remarkable !!!!

Tamikko said...

Absolutely beautiful lo Gabrielle. It really is magical and dreamy :)

Anonymous said...

OMG you alwasys let me speechless...what a gorgeous lo Gabrielle, excellent work.
Lidia

Bonnie aka Cinnabon said...

love how you made that fairy come to life! Another amazing layout Gabi! Keep them coming! Enjoy the May kit!

Denise said...

This is just amazing...I love your style..the colors, the elements..just a beautiful page!! Wish I could get my hands on some of those gorgeous Dusty Attic goodies!!

Paulien van den Bosch said...

oh wow Gabi... this page is breath taking!!!! love those Dusty Attic pieces. Love the fairy...; beautiful colored and I love that little flower in her hand. That Ornament which is altered.... out of this world. Your flower is gorgeous as is that picture of your beautiful daughter. (would love to scrap that picture) reallly I always have been a big fan of your work... you know that. and I love you for the frienship we have!

rosy3108 said...

wonderful layout!

Cindy Gay said...

Love the laser cuts and the painted flourish. Also the purple tones.

Jen said...

I am GUSHING over this layout - It is just so beautiful - you are one talented lady Gabi
Stunning !!!

Katherine said...

Lovely LO, all the painting and glittering looks great and the flower is gorgeous TFS

Kat

Gnomes said...

This page is sooooooo gorgeous love the fairy!!!

Unknown said...

An amasing fairytale on the one page! wonderful...

India Jewelers said...

Pretty! pretty! Really pretty looking. This particular background colour is always good. Nice sharing.

Peggy-Sue said...

lovely lovely... I love the colours, totally awsome:)

Regards from Denmark

scrappinlil said...

Another awesome layout...but such a talented lady. I just love your work. you are so inspiring. I love flowers and the fairy you did a excellent job. TFS

Unknown said...

wow Gabi what you have all made you layouts one after the other this way beautiful I,am Stunning!!

greeting carlies

Patricia SPI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patricia SPI said...

Je reste admirative devant ce talent !!!! Félicitation pour vos belles créations et Bravo !!

ScrappyLizzy said...

Hey Gabrielle! I just recently discovered your blog and I'm in awe of your work! I'm not surprised at all that you DT for Bo Bunny!!! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorials so we can try to get layouts as pretty as yours!

Lorraine said...

Just beautiful.

Kristie said...

Gabrielle!!! This is awesome!! Just love the lazer cuts the fairy is fabulous and I just love how you have coloured her and I would never have said that the wings where stickles they are fabulous!! The whole layout is just gorgeous and the hand made flower is perfect!! So glad you took up this DT as we get to so more of your work and more often which is a bonus!!! Love it!! Have a great weekend Love Chanelle xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails