Friday, August 31, 2012

Making My Own Texture Paste!! Fun with Websters Pages Storytellers AND A Websters Pages FREEBIE!! PLUS Another Webster Treat ~ {Sprinkles Craftbox}!!!

I've been wanting to play with texture pastes for a while now but the penny-pincher in me was holding me back a bit!  I was all set to bite the bullet and go out and pay the $25.00-$35.00 it was going to cost me to pick it up from Michaels but then I thought I'll do a little research and see if there are any recipies out there for making home-made texture paste!  I found one that looked pretty easy so I thought I would give it a go, and guess what?  It worked perfectly!  (I'll share the recipe and some pic's of me using it on this page lower down but first I thought I'd share some close-ups of the page I made).... 
For this page I used a combination of Webster's Pages Park Drive and Once Upon a Halloween collections (using the non theme sides of this paper collection).  I also used some of their beautiful embellishments as well (Cameo) and the focus of the page is the title design!  
I am a HUGE fan of the Webster's Pages Alphabet Sticker sheets (they are called Storytellers).  I'm particularly fond of the scripted design.  In fact many of you send me emails asking what die cutting font I use for my title work and the answer is so easy!  I don't!  I use the Storytellers!  Here is what they look like when you buy a Websters Pages Collection kit (they can also be purchased seperately)  I love the large amount of vowels you get, my sticker sheets go a LONG way...
For the above layout I used the scripted and the regular printing paper font for my title work.  I thought it would be fun to use the larger letter stickers as a mask.  I placed my alpa's where I wanted them but didn't press down to adhere them to the page.  First I flipped them downward and spritzed with a little glimmer mist to create a 'mirror reflection', then I flipped them back up and adhered them to the page.  I thought it was kinda cool because the title was 'You Shine' and the reflection design kind of reinforced the idea :)
Okay, now for the HOME MADE TEXTURE PASTE/MEDIUM!!  It's a really easy recipe, quick to make and super inexpensive!  (Now I have to admit I have no experience with storebrand texture mediums so I can't say how they compare but I thought this stuff worked nicely!) 
TEXTURE PASTE/MEDIUM RECIPE
1/2 cup Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons white school glue
1-2 Tablespoons White Acrylic Paint
(some water may be necessary)
 
Instructions:  I took an air tight container and put in my baking soda.  I then added the glue, acrylic paint and started mixing.  I used a couple of disposable chopsticks to mix it up (we like take out sushi heehee) ....I just mixed to get a smooth consistency, I added a few drops of water to get it to the consistency I wanted.  There are many types of texture mediums in the store, from light to heavy, so the amount of water you add will depend on the heaviness of the texture you are looking for.  Done!
(The mixture keeps well in the air tight container....I made this layout a few weeks ago and kept it on my craft shelf, I just checked it and it's still perfectly usable....some of the moisture was floating on top, I just gave it a stir and it was good to go!)
 
In my research I also saw some recipes that used talcum powder instead of the baking soda, I haven't tried it with talcum powder but I bet it would give a slightly smoother texture.  For my design below, the slightly rougher texture was perfect for my brick design. 
So here again, me and my thrifty ways! LOL!  I find where I live, I find it hard to find masks, but I did have the Dusty Attic Brick Wall chippies in my stash.  I throw next to nothing out.  I used the negative space left from my brick chippies that I've used in past projects and used it as a mask.  Just filled in with the paste.  Below you can see the result when I lifted the 'mask' 
 I found that the medium chipped off a little here and there so what I did was brushed a little Gesso over the design to bind it better. (I think next time I make it I'll add a touch more glue).   I then rubbed a few different chalk inks on the design (after it dried) to pick up the texture more. 
 
Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Parkdrive (Through the Lens, Blanket, Trails, Margaret), Once Upon a Halloween (Haunted House, Whooo's There)
Perfect Accents: In Love
WP Bloomers: Pink
Dazzle-Me-Gems: Everyday Poetry
Digital Motifs: Parkdrive
Storyteller Alphabet Stickers: Western Romance, Sweet Holiday
Dusty Attic Chipboard: Brick Wall Panel, Swirl Vine #2, Mini Scrolls, Cameo Sliders

And before I close I wanted share a super CUTE little freebie from Websters Pages Digi!! Aren't these just the cutest little cards?  I used to put little notes in my girls lunches when they were littler ...wish I had these back then!.....here's a little peek!...


You can pick up your free Lunchbox notes to download and print off HERE!  But that's not all!!  Websters Pages has brought out a NEW super-cute (and inexpensive) monthly treat, just for you! The SPRINKLES CRAFTBOX!!  Check this out!
Do you want a little peek to see what is in the September Sprinkles Craftbox?  Check it out! (You will be seeing some cute sample projects done with the Sprinkles Craftbox Starting on Monday at the Websters Pages blogsite).... 
 
You can find out about this wonderful little monthly treat, that will be available in limited quantity on the first Monday of every month HERE!  And guess what? Yep! you get the cookie too! :) :)
 
 Thanks for stopping in, hope everyone has an awesome weekend!  We're going to have one more nice family weekend before the kids are back to school! :)

42 comments:

Shell said...

WOW Gabi this page is so stunning! Luv how u did the title with a 'reflection'. u r so clever making ur own paste! It looks great XX

Neia Ribeiro said...

I love your work and tips, congratulations are wonderful! Kisses darling!

Scrappy Pink Corner said...

Beautiful layout. Love all the textures and embellishments. Thanks for the tutorial. I am definitily going to try this. TFS. Ana

Tone-Lill said...

Thanks for sharing how you decorated this gorgeous page.
I might give it a try on the paste :)

morkaren said...

Du er simpelt hen så kreativ, og deler gerne dine erfaringer med os andre, tusind tak for det. knus morkaren.

cvanholstein said...

Great work and your paste is very clever !Welle done!
kind regards, Corina

Lynn said...

I'm in love with every little detail on your layout. It's just gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing your paste recipe..that is something I'm definitely going to try!

Vicky Alberto said...

So creative Gabi - BTW Martha Stewart came out with texture effects (texture paste) and with a 40% off coupon at Michaels, well it's a third of the price of artist molding paste!

AtStudioD said...

Gorgeous layout and easy as pie tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us.

x0, Damaris

langeatheart said...

I have to laugh I was in the store yesterday to buy some paste and they don;t sell it. I didn't want to drive an hour to Barrie for just that and here you post a recipe for making it! I love it going to try it ASAP! And stunning layout!

Hanna - Rebecca " TheMissHaven " said...

Aww , Gabi ;) Gorgeouse layout !! Thank you sooo much for the recipe :)
Hugs Rebecca

Sandi Smith said...

You are always so kind and share your amazing tips...I love that stunning layout too!

Romy said...

Thank you so much for the recipe and for your example made with your homemade texture paste:) I absolutely love your lay-out! What you did with the alphas looks so beautiful. I agree, those storytellers are the best alphabet stickers in the world:)

Keren Tamir said...

awesome idea Gabi!! I've bought a great texture paste at michaels only 12 bucks though a small container. this looks like ana easy recipe!!

Patty O'Malley said...

Again, you've come up with some more amazing tips! The layout is beautiful, as always. I love the reflection of the title and the bits of text and bricks.

Laura said...

Funny....I was just in a new art store here, looking for some of that textured embossing... never did find any. No need for it now, I can make my own.
Thanks so much.....your page is stunning, love the mirrored sentiment too.

Cindy Gay said...

Oh Gabrielle, how pretty! Lovely design, tones and reflective title!

Lizzyc said...

HI..what a stunning layout, and I love the vine hanging over the brick wall.. and thanks for the ideas about texture paste.. must give it a go! have a great day!

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

Stunningly gorgeousness! Oh Gaby, thanks for sharing your homemade paste...I will try it right away...now where's my baking soda....?
Hugs and smiles :-)
Asmah

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Such a gorgeous page!! Love how the vines flow over the bricks!! Thanks for the recipe and tutorial for the texture paste. ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

sixofone aka Leah said...

Stunning, amazing LO. Thanks for sharing the paste recipe. I love all the stitching. Must have taken you ages

Cindy said...

Wow Gabrielle, this page is stunning!! Awesome title work and I love the tutorial too, can't wait to try it!! :)

Caroleanne Wright said...

wow just gorjuss. I have made the talcum powder one and it is lovely and soft, I will also give your version a go to see what that is like. Many thanks for the recipe. BFN

Lisa said...

This is so beautiful and stunning. Thank you for always sharing your tips and techniques!!!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous layout and your detailing is perfect. Thanks for sharing the texture paste recipie, it was how I ended up at your blog. Glad I found it!!! Now I can make inexpensive paste for my art classes. Thank you!

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Gabi I so love all your work. Thanks so much for sharing the texture recipe. I really needed an inexpensive paste for scrapping. This of course a gorgeous LO. Love the colors and design. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks!
Rachelle
http://scrapping247365.blogspot.com/

HobbyEla said...

I am one of those who had never used the purchasing texture paste and always do exactly the same way as you. It's great! I even add semolina (white), glitter, etc. It is an excellent substitute for snow on Christmas decorations. You can apply to wood and glass.

barbara macaskill said...

This is beautiful! So many luscious details! I had bought some texture paste and was disgusted with the results I was getting. I almost decided that I just wasn't going to use masks and texture paste even though I love the effect it gives then, during a hop a lady mentioned that she made her own. I emailed her and asked for the recipe and it is so easy to make and is perfect! I get great results every time I use it. It costs maybe 50-75 cents to make and keeps very well. 1/2 cup baby powder, 1 tbsp. Elmer's glue and 1tbsp paint. Mix together in airtight container and add a few drops of water to get desired consistency. I used white paint the first time and have since made it using MANY other colors. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Give it a try and you will be a happy crafter!

Unknown said...

Loved this! What a goreous page! Thank you for such a Budget Friendly tip, I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing the homemade molding paste recipe. I have to get some glue, but I can't wait to make my own. I've always wanted to use molding paste but been to cheap to buy it.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your paste recipe. The stuff at the craft store is ridiculously expensive. I made some today and it turned out just right. Eventually I plan on making it in other colors. Thanks again!!!

Happycolors and Granny Gee... That's Me! said...

I would love to thank you for the homemade textured paste recipe. I made a fireplace, made the paste to add texture to the brick ... so pretty. Thank you so much! Gloria

Vicki Romaine said...

Do you have a recipe for embossing paste using Gesso and Modge Podge?

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Vicki, I dont have a recipe using those two products as I try to use inexpensive everyday products to make up my texture paste...if I went out and bought Gesso and mod podge, I may as well just buy store bought texture paste. I do however have a recipe for a smoother texture paste than the one above....just replace the baking soda with Johnsons baby powder, it makes a wonderful smooth texture paste (it's actually my preferred recipe :)

james brownn said...

I love the way you write and share your niche! Very and different! Keep it coming!
talcum powder ovarian cancer

Unknown said...

Very nice of you to share your texture recipe. Thanks!!!!!

Jessica said...

I just started my first blog and I'm referencing your blog for the texture paste recipe in my video tutorials...
https://youtu.be/3Ug-6ZMInAo i love this recipe - I've saved so much money already! also, I noticed that with different brands of baby powder, I get different levels of grittiness to my paste. It's great.

Unknown said...

Love your work Gabrielle and well explained always.

Unknown said...

Love your work Gabrielle and well explained always.

Unknown said...

I was looking for a recipe for plaster for molding for my craftprojects (making small drawers for papercraft but of wood) and found your way of doing it I am definitely trying this out - thank you so much for sharing this

sandi said...

So I finally got around to trying the homemade texture paste and is this ever great. This will be a real cost saver at school. And instead of white paint I added metallic paint to some and ended up with a shimmery paste. The kids are gonna love this stuff. Thank you so much.

myhuonglequyen said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails