Monday, May 13, 2013

Making Roses with Translucent Vellum!

Hi there!  A couple weeks back I shared with you my projects made with the ScrapThat! May Anniversary kit and I mentioned that I would be sharing a little tutorial with you all, a little step by step on how I made these vellum roses (pictured above) with the sheet of translucent vellum in the May ScrapThat! kit!  I always love to find unique items to work with in a kit and when I saw the sheet of vellum, I knew I had to make something fun with it!
 
Step 1:  I began by cutting out a small section of the vellum and running it through my Quickutz Revolution machine using the Spellbinders "Spiral Blossom #1" die cut. 
 
This is what the cut vellum will look like when you pull it out of the die (above)

Step 2:   I took a little make-up sponge and dabbed some Tim Holtz "Victorian Velvet" Distress Ink on the petals (you can use any color ink you like, I just used an aged pink color to suit my layout).  I just worked the ink from the flat edge up.....you want it to fade out slightly, it doesn't have to be a perfect fade, when it use rolled up the effect will be just fine.

Step 3:  Finally the last thing you should do before rolling it all up is to lightly curl the tips of the petals with your finger tips, the vellum will hold the shape.  Now you just begin rolling up the whole thing working from the outside of the spiral in.   See, the sort of rounded center of the spiral?  This is your base for the flower.  I just gave this a good coating of Tombow liquid adhesive.  This stuff is great!  You just wait for it to turn clear (it starts out white)....when it's clear, it has a nice strong tackiness.  So when you roll up your bloom just press the whole design down onto the glue patch at the end.  Hold it for about a minute to insure a good hold.    You may need to crinkle the sections between the petals to get a nice shape to your bloom, I ended up with a little pleat in between each petal.   Now just add the leaves in the kit and decorate with some of the sweet little pearl swirls and  you have yourself a great little embellishment!
 
Here are the blooms on the finished layout...
 


23 comments:

Lizzyc said...

Those roses are stunning, I have never thought of making flowers from vellum.. thanks for the inspiration!

Sandra said...

They look so very beautiful on such a special layout, I love this one Gaby.

bolletjelucky.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the clear tutorial Gabrielle,they are looking fabulous,have a nice day,greetings Miranda

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!! I will say it again and again! :) your tutorials are so helpful ind inspiring~ Appreciate you~

Anonymous said...

The flowers are gorg but that heart is what I'm really in love with! Love all that texture!

Beverley said...

Your vellum roses are so delicate and gorgeous Gabi (the whole layout is!!). Thanks so much for your tutorial. xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Of course those flowers are beautiful!! You never disappoint!

Sandie said...

So beautiful, and those roses made of velum are exquisite. I shall have to pull my velum out, thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

OMG this is amazing
love your LO

RitaK said...

Lovely roses ;-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

These are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Oh...so very lovely...sigh......

sue smyth said...

I love this Gabi is that bubble wrap I see lol

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers and do easy. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

This is such a fabulous technique for your gorgeous page!! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Danoesja said...

Hi Gabrielle

Thanks for sharing the tutorial, the roses are very beautifull.

Greetings, Danoesja

Beverly said...

Such a beautiful layout. Thanks for the tips on the vellum flowers!

Tone-Lill said...

A fantastic sweet and romantic LO. Love the velum flowers and thanks for that brilliant tutorial:)

Rachelle Olaridge said...

So gorgeous Gab. Love those flowers and use of the bubble wrap. Hey Gab open a challenge site. LOL!!!! I will be a DT.
Huggies
Rachelle
xxx

My Scrapy Den said...

The flowers are beautiful, but I love the bubble wrap. Can you tell us how you did that. Thanks Gabrielle, of course I love everything you do.

Joanne

AtStudioD said...

I just can't get over how gorgeous everything is that you do! How do you do it E.V.E.R.Y S.I.N.G.L.E T.I.M.E!!

Incredibly fascinating.

You are my 12x12 layout Queen!!

x0, Damaris

Scrap Affair said...

Gabby, Thank you for MK, I did a card with this kind of Roses-LOVE them! :)
http://scrapaffair.blogspot.com/2013/05/glow.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails