Hi there! A couple weeks back I shared with you my projects made with the ScrapThat! May Anniversary kit and I mentioned that I would be sharing a little tutorial with you all, a little step by step on how I made these vellum roses (pictured above) with the sheet of translucent vellum in the May ScrapThat! kit! I always love to find unique items to work with in a kit and when I saw the sheet of vellum, I knew I had to make something fun with it!
Step 1: I began by cutting out a small section of the vellum and running it through my Quickutz Revolution machine using the Spellbinders "Spiral Blossom #1" die cut.
This is what the cut vellum will look like when you pull it out of the die (above)
Step 2: I took a little make-up sponge and dabbed some Tim Holtz "Victorian Velvet" Distress Ink on the petals (you can use any color ink you like, I just used an aged pink color to suit my layout). I just worked the ink from the flat edge up.....you want it to fade out slightly, it doesn't have to be a perfect fade, when it use rolled up the effect will be just fine.
Step 3: Finally the last thing you should do before rolling it all up is to lightly curl the tips of the petals with your finger tips, the vellum will hold the shape. Now you just begin rolling up the whole thing working from the outside of the spiral in. See, the sort of rounded center of the spiral? This is your base for the flower. I just gave this a good coating of Tombow liquid adhesive. This stuff is great! You just wait for it to turn clear (it starts out white)....when it's clear, it has a nice strong tackiness. So when you roll up your bloom just press the whole design down onto the glue patch at the end. Hold it for about a minute to insure a good hold. You may need to crinkle the sections between the petals to get a nice shape to your bloom, I ended up with a little pleat in between each petal. Now just add the leaves in the kit and decorate with some of the sweet little pearl swirls and you have yourself a great little embellishment!
Here are the blooms on the finished layout...