Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Tattered Frame {Maja Design}


Hi there! I thought it would be fun to share with you today a frame I made using the Maja Design Walking in the Forest collection papers.  I have to say this collections is an old favorite of mine, I love the tattered, worn look of the papers.

  Walking-in-the-forest-P

I began by picking up an inexpensive unfinished wood frame at a local craft shop (Michaels).  It cost me only $1.50 (I love me a good bargain!)  I then had the daunting task of choosing which papers I wanted to use to create my frame.  I say daunting because there are so many gorgeous papers in this collection that I had a hard time choosing which I wanted to put together.

Tattered_Frame_Gabrielle_Pollacco_Maja_Design_Closeup2While I was shopping for my frame I came across these pretty tattered looking blooms (Recollections brand). When I saw the colors I immediately thought of the papers and colors in the Walking in the Forest collection.  I just love those faded denim colors and the worn craft colors.  I added a little hemp twine and some bits of burlap to finish the rustic look.  While I was digging around in my papers I came across this bit of brick mortar chipboard (left over from a brick design I had done a little while back)....well, you know me, I try to use everything...so I thought it would be nice to add a little texture to the frame by gluing on this bit of leftover chipboard.

  Tattered_Frame_Gabrielle_Pollacco_Maja_Design_Closeup1

Included in the floral package was this cute triple layer butterfly!  I also did a patchwork design on this frame so that I could use a variety of the patterned papers in this lovely collection.   I used some Bronze metalic dimensional paint to add 'rivets' to the cut edges. I also used a little water on the edge of the paper so that I could gently pull back the edge to reveal the Flannel Shirt paper.

I hope you enjoyed my project today.  I'm often asked where do I get my inspiration.  I often pull my inspiration from the products I work with. In this case I saw the blooms and my mind begins thinking about what papers would look nice with these, and what design  or project could be made with this.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today, and thanks so much for all the lovely feedback....I say it a lot but I mean it, you all make my day! xo xo


18 comments:

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful frame, Gabi! I also picked up that package of Recollections flowers--love them!

Samra said...

WOW!!! This is one stunningly gorgeous frame Gabrielle!! Love those papers and the way you layered them. The flowers are arranged perfectly and the chipboard is just a perfect touch to this design!
I would like to thank you for paying a visit to my little blog and taking time to leave me a comment! You so made my day!! I felt like I was in heaven knowing that such a crafting icon visited my blog. Thank you!!!

Tiziana said...

ciao Gabrielle, sei sempre fonte di ispirazione, ogni tuo lavoro ha il tuo carattere, la tua impronta รจ unica. Meravigliosa questa cornice, e l'utilizzo dello spago per stringere le farfalle ! LOVEEE it

Unknown said...

What a classy, yet budget friendly idea! I'll take to to go...hold the mayo!!

bolletjelucky.blogspot.com said...

You've made a gorgeous frame from your good bargain Gabrielle. Beautiful layers and love the flowers...
Greetings Miranda

Romy said...

What a gorgeous frame it is! I love the warm colours and your beautiful paper tearing!

Maureen Killen said...

Hello Gabrielle,
I can't believe it, I think I've been transported in the "Time Machine" as I've missed the last 3 posts you have done. I cannot explain it, I'm sure I've been on your blog every day.
Well they are all, as usual, gorgeous. In fact, superb, and I love them.
Maureen x

Maureen Killen said...

Hi Gabrielle,
It's me again, wanted to tell you that I adapted your party favour post (with the plastic chocolate spoons) by using small crisp tubes and made pencil holders in a mixed media way. The children love them - so thank you.
Maureen xx

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

That's awesome Maureen! Funny, when I was making my holder, I was thinking that I wish I had a small Pringles tube for this, it would have been a better height (I ended up stuffing tissue paper in the bottom of mine so that the spoons would stick up enough! So happy to hear you had success with this project hon! xo xo

Lois said...

Wow - Really stunning frame - It is very inspiring and I have a friend's birthday coming up....hmmmm. Thanks so much for sharing and for your inspiration!

Kathy Bradley said...

Gabrielle,
What a beautiful frame and lovely papers! And, those flowers are awesome. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous frame!

Beverley said...

Delightful, and I love the way you photographed your completed project Gabi!

Lizzyc said...

Oh wow that photo is stunning and I love the aged feel to the frame and the flowers too.. really pretty.. love the softness of it all.. have a great day!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, I love your style, great inspiration! :)

Unknown said...

Gabrielle, I'm new to posting, I hope you get this. I've been following your blog and youtube posts for awhile now, you are so talented. I'm wondering if you know of a Canadian supplier of Maya Design papers. I'm out in Edmonton and nobody out here carries the papers (shame). I look forward to hearing from you.

Liz G

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Liz! I'm not sure who carries Maha here in Canada (there is a store-finder at their website) ...that being said The Scrapbook Diaries in New York carries a ton of Maja Design papers and she does ship to Canada. Just ask her for a shipping quote, she is always happy to help, her email is Janene@thescrapbookdiaries.com ....here is the link to Maja products in her store
http://www.thescrapbookdiaries.com/product-tag/maja/

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi again Liz! I just went to the Store finder at the Maja website and found an online store in Edmonton Alberta that has lots of Maja Design papers, its called The Scrap Addict, here is a link http://windwardhosting.com/248558057042/wecs.php?store=248558057042&action=searchadvanced&advancedsearch_include_description=1&advancedsearch_words=&advancedsearch_brands=MAJA+DESIGN&advancedsearch_categories=&Submit=Submit
(If this link doesnt work, I'm using my phone to answer, just go to the Maja Design website, click on Store Finder, there are also a couple more options in your area.) Hope this helps! xo

Unknown said...

Thanks very much Gabrielle, Scrap Addict must be pretty new, I've never heard of them but I will for sure check them out. The price of the Canadian Dollar makes it less cost effective to order from the States these days, especially with USPS shipping rates. I keep hoping for a rebound in the dollar because I want to get some Shimmerz too. I appreciate the assistance.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails