Thursday, April 28, 2016

NEW Video Tutorial! Mixed Media Canvas {Dusty Attic and Shimmerz Paints}


Hi Everyone! I know it's been a while since I shared a public video tutorial with you all so I'm happy to share this one with you today!  This was so much fun to make, I think you all will really enjoy this one!  Here is a head on view of the canvas....


This video is a few minutes longer than my usual videos because I take the time in the beginning of the video to show you how to make the polymer clay octopus.  So without further ado, here's the tutorial...enjoy!



I hope you enjoyed watching my video tutorial!  Here is a list of some of the products I used in this project ...


Dusty Attic Chipboard & Stencil:
~ Rustic Charm Frame
~Skeleton Clock Frame
~ Fish Net
~ Nuts & Bolts
~ Locks & Keys (small)
~ Key to My Heart (locks & Keys)
~ Sea Grass #1 (small)
~ Sea Grass #2
~ Cogs
~ Cogs Stencil

You can order Dusty Attic Chipboard directly from their website in Australia or if you are looking to order in North America The Scrapbook Diaries has a huge supply of Dusty Attic Chipboard.


I used the above listed Dusty Attic mixed media products...the rusting powder is sprinkled onto the wet paint, then sprayed with a vinegar/water solution (50/50) and left to rest for about a half hour to rust.


Above are the Shimmerz Paints products I used to color/paint my canvas.  I recently got a package with some of the NEWEST Shimmerz Paints products and I have to say I'm in LOVE with the new Shimmerz Paints pots....really rich deep pigment and loads of iridescent shimmer!  You can order your Shimmerz Paints online HERE.  NOTE:  Be sure to mention my name 'Gabrielle' in your order to get a FREE/Bonus Shimmerz Paints product in the color of your choice


Here are a few closeup and other angle views of this project....I like to create projects that can be enjoyed from different angles :)


I used Pearlex mica powder to color my octopus....just randomly rubbed on a blue, green and violet color and used a gold for the suction cups.  Although the color sets pretty good as my piece bakes, I like to give it a light spritz with some hair spray to make sure the color stays on.


The polymer clay piece gets baked in a 275 degree oven for about 20 minutes, when you remove it from the oven and it cools, it becomes rigid and hardened.


As always I had a lot of fun creating an underwater vignette using a variety of Dusty Attic chipboard...at the bottom of my canvas I incorporated a bunch of  turquoise and aqua color sequins that I got at a local dollar store.


Another cool mixed media product I've been enjoying using in my projects are seed beads.  Here I added the Licorice color seed beads by Prima.  I applied them using the clear Gloss Varnish by Dusty Attic.  I felt adding them around my octopus helped meld the design into the background canvas.

I hope you enjoyed todays post!  As always I appreciate your kind words and feedback, you comments make my day! xo



52 comments:

Anonymous said...

So love this Gabrielle ... very clever indeed! The octopus tentacles are superb! Carol x

Eva Olmo said...

Wowwww it's fantastic! Gourgeous!
Congratulations for your creations Gabrielle, you are a great artist.
Hugs.

Roosterhead Designs said...

Girl, get out! Oh Gabi that's amazing! And it looked like so much fun to do! - and yes, lots of work too : )
The way you achieved the great colors (on the octopus and the whole canvas) is such an art my friend. And the authentic feel of the sea, with your textures of chip, beads and paste and perfect blend of inks is so creative and unique. Truly artwork and does belong on a canvas! Thank you~ for always taking time for us : ) Appreciate your video's Gabrielle; and hope all is well.
Hugs, Karen O

Lili Sulastri said...

Beautiful project. Thank you for sharing.

Romy said...

Wow, how amazing is this! I love the colours and all the pretty microbeads.

smokeysmom said...

Totally amazing! I have missed your beautiful projects. This canvas is so beautiful.

Carolina F. said...

Really pretty! Your project are totally amazing Gabrielle!

Paula Calvanico said...

Amazing what else can I say. You are a true treasure and an inspiration <3

Paula XOXO

Chrissy said...

Simply outstanding..your Octopus is brilliant with all the beautiful colours of the deep sea..just beautiful.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I loved seeing how you made the octopus from the polymer clay.

langeatheart said...

I love love love this!!! The octopus is awesome and I love the amount of chippies you used and the colors are gorgeous! Your walls at home must look fabulous with all the art you make! Hugs! :)

mamablitger said...

Gabrielle you always create AMAZING art. Today as well. This canvas is AWESOME.... Love that octopus !! And all the other elements are so fantastic color ordinated. Love the rusty look.
Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic creativity and for taking time to produce a video. Your art is a fave of mine for inspiration.
Hugs from Monica
Spain

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! I am totally gobsmacked! This canvas is awesome!! The way you made the octopus tentacles is totally brilliant and the colours blend together so beautifully! Have always adored your work Gabrielle and must make the time to come visit more often. Love this wonderful piece of art .. absolutely divine!! x

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Gabrielle,

ich bin absolut fasziniert von deiner wundervollen Gestaltung. Der Octopus ist so genial gemacht. Meine Bewunderung für diese Idee und die grandiose Umsetzung.
Ich bin total begeistert von deinem Werk. Vielen Dank für das tolle Video. Ganz liebe Grüße Hugs Silvi

Lizzyc said...

Sensational! just loved watching your underwater wonderland evolve in the video, and the colors look wonderful.. just love how you created the back ground on the canvas too.. another really beautiful canvas.. just loved how you made the octopus legs too.. fabulous creating!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I am loving this Gabrielle, gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the details too, love it! Angela xXx

Jacki Daniels said...

Gabrielle this is truly AMAZING I love the octopus it had me captured from the start so much detail love it
Jacki

Mona_63 said...

Wooooow!!!

Julie said...

As the canvas says - AMAZING!! Your work is so inspiring, Gabrielle. Such fantastic ideas, the octopus looks great on the edge of the canvas . Love the colours and the rust effect is just brilliant. It's great to have the video to watch your creative processes. Can't wait to see more.

Unknown said...

So beautiful,loved watching the video,what a lovely way to spend time sat with a coffee on a Sunday morning.💕

cheryl brown said...

Hi Gabrielle,

Loving your new (to me) video tutorial. Your imagination knows no limits and I enjoy watching every one.
I am still practising some of your techniques, one day I might actually be pleased with my finished results!
Last year I followed your links to a Dusty attic retailer over here in England and I am impressed with the amount of items they stock. My first parcel arrived so beautifully wrapped and packed. A wow! moment.

I don't get emails informing me of your new postings, whether this is because of downloading Windows 10, I'm not sure, as it seemed to knock as lot of my settings our of sync.
Love & hugs
Cheryl xxx

Janene said...

AMAZING! is the perfect title - truly a work art. Fabulous!

Unknown said...

Always Amazing. We were starved for a video. So glad you are back and healing well.You will always be my favorite!! I am not artistic, but trying to learn from my idol. Please don't ever stop sharing your fabulous talent!!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

So happy to hear you were able to get your hands on Dusty Attics beautiful products Cheryl! Have you tried subscribing to my youtube channel, I believe they send out notifications, maybe that wont interfere with your settings? (I've been leary myself of downloading windows10 after how much I disliked windows8)
Thanks for your kind words! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Cindy, you are so sweet! I'm happy to be back to it! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Jacqueline for taking the time to leave your sweet comment! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Jacki! Your sweet comment made my day! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

I so appreciate your kind feedback Julie, thanks so much for taking the time to leave your kind comment! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Angela!❤

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Lizzy! Hope you've been keeping well!❤🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Danke shone Silvis! ❤❤❤

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much for your sweet feedback Margaret! Happy to be back and creating again, hope you've been keeping well! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much hon for all your lovely and kind words they always make my day!xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Aw, thanks Pam! Im always happy to hear from you...hope you're keeping well...not fun having such a bad cold! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Kristah!❤

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

You're so lovely to take the time to leave your kind comment Chrissy! Thanks so much!❤🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Aw, Paula you are always so kind and sweet in your comments and feedback! Thank you!! ❤🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much sweet Carolina!💞

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much for your kind words! 💞

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Romy! As always I'm so happy to hear from you! Hope you are keeping well my friend!xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Lili! 🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

I'm doing very well Karen! Thamks so much for popping by and leaving your kind feedback! It always makes my day to hear from you! Hope you are doing well! Thanks for spreading your sunshine here! xo 🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

What a lovely thing to say, thanks so much Eva! 💞💕

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

You are so sweet Carol, thanks so much for the kind sentiments! 🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much!🌸

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

❤🌸❤

Unknown said...

So artistic! This is gorgeous :)

Dria said...

This is fabulous to look at! I will watch that video and try and make the octopus!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful.. I watch your video's over and over they are all gorgeous and inspiring. I know you list scrapbook diaries of a retailer of the dusty attic chipboard, do you know of a north america retailer of the rusting powder and paints?

Aleksandra said...

Gorgeous layout once again dear Gabrielle and a great tutorial! I love the colors and all the rusty chipboards and that octopus is amazing!!! I am so thrilled when you also do your tutorials... I could just sit hours and hours and watch you creating! <3

Hugs,
Aleksandra

Unknown said...

Really awesome Gabrielle.. I love it very much.. I want these shimmer colors and stensils.. Plz. Can u hlp me.. I m from india

Natashalh said...

Oh my gosh - this is so AMAZING! I have always admired multi media projects and am trying to learn more about creating them, myself. Thank you so much for the video!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails