Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Mixed Media Canvas - Video Tutorial {Maja Design, Shimmerz Paints & Dusty Attic}


Hi everyone, I'm back today to share with you all a fun little canvas I made up yesterday.  I had this cute soft green rose ribbon in my stash (a gift from my sweet friend Kimberly!) which made me think of those pretty couture gowns I sometimes see on Pinterest.  So I gathered some of my favorite Maja Design papers some Dusty Attic chipboard pieces and some Shimmerz Paints and got started.


The majority of papers I used on this  project came from the Vintage Spring Basics collection with a couple of papers from Crea Diem, Vintage Summer Basics and Sofiero collection.  I used the following papers for this project:  Vintage Spring Basics (1st of April, 6th of May), Crea Diem (Den oersättliga tiden), Vintage Summer Basics (1903), Sofiero (Princess Margareta's Garden).


For me a canvas isn't a canvas without a liberal sprinkle of Dusty Attic chipboard on it, these are the Dusty Attic pieces I used for this project:  Baroque (Square) Frames, Word Pack #20, Lacey Hearts Frames, Flourish #8.  You can find Dusty Attic Chipboard and Maja Design papers at The Scrapbook Diaries. (Psst! Janene even has the newest winter collection from Maja Design in already!!)


I always like to use a little color/mixed media element to my pages.  For this project I used Shimmerz Paints 'Ride the Tide' and 'Sage It Isn't So' Creameez to add that subtle hint of shabby-chic color. Creameez are a soft water based paints that are activated with water. NOTE:  Get a FREE/Bonus Shimmerz Paints product in the color of your choice with your next order of Shimmerz Paints by simply mentioning my name 'Gabrielle' in the Instructions to Merchant part of your order. You can order Shimmerz Paints HERE.

I thought it would be fun to create a video tutorial to share with you all to show step by step how this little canvas was created....so grab your favorite beverage, take a little break and enjoy!....

 

I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial! I thought I would share some of the close-ups below so you can view them at you leisure...

Beauty View4

I like to save all my title strips from my Maja Design papers for my projects and one of my favorite uses for them is to use as borders on my canvas's.  They are a perfect fit width-wise and for a 4x6" canvas, they fit perfectly  all around as well. Here I used the paper strips from the Sofiero 'Princess Margareta's Garden' paper for this (although you can use any border that suits your fancy for this.

  Beauty closeup1

I found the perfect little frame for this in the Dusty Attic Baroque (Square) Frames ....using the smaller of the two frames in the set I just gave it a little snip here and there to make it fit my 6"x 4" canvas.  Prima's Shabby Chic treasures had just the right size corset in it to suit my project.  And then I found a lovely little heart frame in the Dusty Attic Lacey Heart Frames.

  Beauty closeup2

I chose my mixed media paint colors from the Kaisercraft rose ribbon a friend had sent me a little while back. I picked Shimmerz Paint's 'Ride the Tide' and 'Sage It Isn't So' Creameez to add a soft hint of color to the background of my design.  I added a little texture with some texture paste and TCW's ''Mini Brocade" 6 inch stencil.  And finally I added a scripty title by using the chipboard word 'Beauty' from Dusty Attic's Wordpack #20.


I hope you enjoyed today's project and hope you feel inspired to create your own shabby-chic wall art.  Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today, I'm always delighted by the lovely comments and feedback I get from all of you! xo xo


23 comments:

Petras Bastelschätze said...

Gorgeous design Gabrielle, I love the colours and the beautiful Dustic Attics.
Best regards Petra

Bunny Dobbie said...

I have some of that ribbon too! It's gorgeous stuff. What a pretty way to use it Gabrielle. The butterflies carrying the dress is such a fairytale moment. So sweet.

Roosterhead Designs said...

Gabrielle this is stunning. I was enthralled with your (so helpful) video! Thank you for all the effort you put into helping us understand the process of design. If you have a moment sometime : ) I was wondering if you could address the effects of 'water' on your projects - When you glued the BG ppr down, you used the Creameez with what seems like a fair bit of water mixed in. Anyhoo,
Do you have any problems with warp & bubble when using water-mixed media? Just wondering~ Thanks for this magnificent Tutorial! ~ Karen

Jessica said...

You are killing me with so many beautiful canvases! I am TRYING to finish a present for my Aunt and Uncle but all of your amazing work keeps me from sticking to a particular idea! Haha. What I mean is: this is beautiful. :-D

Bonnie said...

Gorgeous!! TFS :-)

Cathrine Sandvik said...

Dear Gabrielle! You are such an inspiration to me <3 I love your work and can spend hours and hours watching your you tube video tutorials ;-)
This canvas is so cute! I love the idea :-)
Thank you for sharing your creativity with us.
Love from Cathrine.

smokeysmom said...

GORGEOUS! I hope you don't mind if I copy this design to create a hanging for my grand daughter's newly decorated "Parisian-themed" bedroom. I think it would be perfect for her:)

Romy said...

Wow, look at that amazing dress! That is such an amazing and unique idea! Your canvas is just insanely gorgeous!

Sarah said...

Always amazingly inspirational to watch your videos! I LOVE your work!

Kathy Bradley said...

So very gorgeous and elegant - and love the soft and pretty colors.

Patty O'Malley said...

What a gorgeous canvas, Gabi! Love it!

Beverley said...

Delightful Gabi, you do green so well. (Love your photograph of the swan and Shimmerz Paints!).

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Karen, perhaps it due to the thick Maja paper, or because it's glued to the backing, there was no warping from the water paint. But I have dealt with warping issues in the past. Two tricks....sometimes I take my hair flattening iron on the papers to smooth them out once they are dry. Another is to take a break and leave my warped paper with some heavy books on them for a few hours. Hope this helps! 😊

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Lol! You're so cute Jessica, hope you get a nice project figured out for your family. xo

Roosterhead Designs said...

Yes, thanks for the help Gabi! I had a feeling the quality of paper would be an issue. Maja is awesome~ & love the idea of your hair straightener. I also use mine in the craftroom for quick ribbon straitening; etc. Had not thought about ppr! So clever. & heavy books; of course! Appreciate you~Karen

LISA said...

Sheer gorgeousness all around!!! Love love love!!!! xo

Janene said...

beautiful as always!!!! Love all the details

Mona_63 said...

Wow.. beautiful...

Stempelhexe said...

ein wunderschönes Werk ist das von dir geworden, einfach phänomenal.

LG
Ulla

LoveVN said...

The incredible beauty and grace! A beautiful combination of colors and shapes.

Aleksandra said...

Gorgeous project Gabrielle. Such a great project idea and your unbelievable sense of design... it's just amazing! I love your work and you amaze me each and every time!

Sending you warm greetings from Slovenia.

jenny said...

Beautiful canvas Gabrielle with a lovely softness about it. What a privilege it is to watch your design process. I too will be copying this for a Christmas present. Thank you x

Unknown said...

Imagine a City...







Imagine a city where every home had on it's front lawn a piece of sculpture or an art installation.

Imagine a city where each and every business invited artists to exhibit their work to the company's patrons.

Imagine a city where instead of gifting clothing, electronics, chocolate, or cash, a work of art was given, and appreciated.

Imagine a city where each and every home housed and preserved an art collection. Where insecurities over self-interests were dispensed with, and collections reflected those varied tastes.

Imagine a city where glass, pottery, painting, photography. fibers, basketry, and even graffiti were embraced. Where the artists themselves were looked upon as a treasured resource. No matter their perspective.

Imagine a city where any construction project involved multiple artists, in its' execution.

Imagine a city which preserved its' creative heritage and embraced it.

Imagine a city which understood, that capturing a slice of life had merit. But to alter a communities perspective to embrace all thought and belief, strengthened it, not weakened it.

Imagine a city which led the World in cultural munificence which would then reap the reward of becoming a global mecca.

Imagine a city which could step outside of what others were doing could walk the path of its' own making.

Imagine a city where meetings to enact such change, needn't take place. Rather a spontaneous change came from its' citizenry itself.

Imagine a city which artists flocked to; enabling them to create without fear of censorship or derision.

Imagine a city not dependent upon their museums or art schools for their lead in any discussions of artistic merit, but rather the career artists themselves.

I have imagined this city since childhood, as have most of my colleagues. Instead we've swum through muck, hoping such change would miraculously happen without distracting us from our labors. Or moved to the closest metropolis which appeared poised to take the plunge.

Cleveland, like most cities, while not a blank canvas; is one, where the image it sports has faded beyond restoration. The time to paint over it has come. Shiny new unaesthetic buildings, are simply masking the rot.

Marc Breed, Fine Artist



"In the distant future, when America is a mere shadow of itself, who historically, shall be remembered? In sports, an argument can be made for Ruth, Chamberlain, Gretzky, Ali, et al. In Art, there is but one name, Breed."

-Smithsonian Magazine

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails