Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dusty Attic Lamp!


Most of you who are familiar with my work know that I am mainly a layout girl and I rarely stray into the world of cardmaking and altered art. Well, here my friends is my first try at making an altered piece! I had this beautiful piece from Dusty Attic Designs, a intricately cut stained glass window design. As soon as I saw it I knew this would be something I would like to use on an altered artwork project rather than a layout.
When my girls were babies I had bought this inexpensive lamp at a garage sale. I simply covered it in some cardstock and added a flower fairy picture to it for their bedroom. Well, now that they are a little older I thought it was high time to do a make-over on this lamp (aside from the fact that it was starting to look pretty shabby, and not in a good way! LOL!) Last year I painted their room in green/purple so I went with these colors for their lamp. Here is a full shot of the finished lamp.....
I began the job by giving the whole lamp a coat of DecorArt Americana Stucco in the colour 'Pale Willow'.....Then I lightly brushed the dry stucco with a little bit of Chestnut Brown chalk ink by Colorbox. I then glued on the Dusty Attic Stained Glass window piece and the brick pieces (which I painted with some brown, orange and white paint. .....the brick design can also be found at the Dusty Attic site)
To get a stained glass look I used some Lavender Stickles to fill in the grapes and some Eucalyptus Stickles for the leaves. I used some soft watercolor paints in the diamond panes and then coated the design with some gloss medium to get a glass effect. I then used some bronze 3D metalic paint on the design itself to get the leaded look that stained glass panels have. Here are some close-up peeks at the finished piece so you can better see the details....

Thanks for having a peek!!
~Gabrielle xxx

15 comments:

Scrapthat said...

It turned out GORGEOUS Gabi!! Just lovely!! TFS! I love the DA window!

Diana Joy said...

Wow; that's fabulous......you should stray more often. Thanks for sharing.

Izoliya said...

Very beautiful!!!
Good idea ^)

Darien said...

OMG!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Looks like stain glass!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

Tamikko said...

Gorgeous! Just beautiful Gabrielle. I love it :)

Denise said...

Amazing girl...simply amazing!! Looks like real stained glass! Your techniques are just so inspiring!!

Jolaine Frias said...

Simply amazing! You are so cretive and talented! Thanks for sharing!!!

Rita Barakat said...

Beautiful I bet the girls love it!

Jolanda said...

oh wow,it looks so very beautiful!!!love it!!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful- what a nice accent piece in your daughter's (purple0 room- my Katie has a Purple room too!

Sandy said...

this is absolutely gorgeous!

Eco Furniture said...

Sweet...lovely Design..like it a lot...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Viva-Magazine-Your-Premium-Womens-Natural-Health-Magazine/262734921452?ref=ts

lindacreates said...

Beautiful!~

Gabrielle Jeromy said...

You really made your lamp look like new. The grapes and the flowers would shine brighter if the lamp is lighted. I hope you took that lighted lamp, if only just once.

Gabrielle Jeromy said...

You really made your lamp look like new. The grapes and the flowers would shine brighter if the lamp is lighted. I hope you took that lighted lamp, if only just once.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails