Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Little Spring Whimsy And a Video Tutorial: How To Make Your Own Crinkle Ribbon!!

I have some really fun stuff to share with you all today, including a very quick Video Tutorial on how to make your own inexpensive handmade Vintage Crinkle Ribbon!! (scroll down for tutorial).   I was so thrilled to be working on my first project using the NEW and gorgeous Vintage Spring Basics collection from Maja Design! I'm such a huge fan of butterflies, birdies and florals on my scrapbook papers, and add them to a vintage design and I'm in heaven! I wanted to go with a butterfly theme so I thought I'd create a layered butterfly wing design to accent the page. I thought I would share with you all the steps I took to create the butterfly design... 


 
Before I added the larger wing to my page, I first lightly inked some of the area around where the wing would be placed and did a little stamping with some script stamps. I wanted a 3D layered effect so I glued down the larger wing and did a little doodling around the edges of the wing and then glued down the smaller wing on top, glueing only at the center of the wing so that it can be folded up slightly. Here is a close-up view of the finished design...  
I also wanted to try something fun for this page, and it was to make my own Vintage Crinkle Ribbon! I've seen these cute vintage looking ribbons on many projects in the past and when I went to source them locally I had an impossible time finding them! Then I came across some information on Pinterest on how to make these vintage ribbons from seam binding! I gave it a try and it was easy-peasy to do and so inexpensive! 
 
This is what you will need to make these ribbons:
~ Seam Binding (100% Rayon works best but I could only find Polyester and this worked for me)
~ Tints: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads (in the color of your choice - I used Victorian Velvet), you can also use the Tim Holtz re-inker bottles for this as well.
~ Water Spritzer
~Elastic Bands
~Waterproof surface (I used the top of one of my Iris Storage boxes)
Click below to watch a less than 3 minute tutorial on making these.

 
Just a note:  This method of tinting the ribbon gives a really nice aged look to the ribbon and some areas will tint slightly darker than others, this is a good thing!  It helps in giving the ribbon that vintage look we're going for! :) 

I also added some Dusty Attic chipboard in the lower right corner to mirror the cherry blossom design in the papers. These I handpainted and I added a little nest to give a nice Spring feel to the page.
And I have one more little extra for you today. I know that not everyone is comfortable with sketching, so if you want to try the butterfly wing design that I created above, you can right click on the template below and 'save picture as' to your computer. I saved the page as a 8.5x11 so when you go to print if you hit 'fit to page' it should give you the wings in the same size as I created for my page.
I hope you enjoyed my first project with the NEW Vintage Spring Basics collection as much as I enjoyed making it! And don't forget, if you want to have a chance at winning this gorgeous new collection, you still have a few days left before the end of the month to enter at my blog! You can find the GIVE-AWAY at this link MAJA VINTAGE SPRING BASICS GIVEAWAY!
 
Supplies:
 Patterned Paper - Vintage Spring Basics (1st of May, 4th of May, 7th of May, 7th of May-bs, 6th of May), Chipboard - Dusty Attic (Cherry Blossoms), Flowers - Dusty Attic Mini Roses, Prima Roses, Prima Pearl Ribbon/trim, Nest - Prima, Green Vine Trim - May Arts,  Paints - Dusty Attic (Navajo White, Bisque), Crinkle Ribbon - handmade (tutorial link above)


22 comments:

morkaren said...

Tusind tak for en ny dejlig ide, din ide med håndtegnede blomster og ranker har jeg prøvet af. knus og god påske morkaren.

זהבית שקד said...

Gorgeous !!!

Zehavit shaked

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Gabrielle!!
The lay-out is sooo beautiful and the wings are so you:j and whimsy and fun; and gorgeous!
Your details are incredible and I always learn when I stop in your blog - thks for the tutorial! Very cool. Loving these pprs and the soft color pallette~

Sonia said...

Such a gorgeous creation my dear^_^
So beautiful image and lovely embellishments^_^
Hugs,
Sonia

Shona said...

gorgeous :)

Carin said...

How I love your tutorials. Thanks a bunch.

Once upon a time, I watched a tutorial on how to make flowers from cardstock circles. Your tutorial. I tried it myself, made a lot of them and got a lot of compliments.
Last week I taught the technique to my class at school. No misters, no fancy ink, but we have cardstock (of some sort). We wet the paper under the tap, smacked the paper in both hands and then wrinkled them.
The kids were amazed that it was so easy. I also taught them how to ink the edges. They loved it!
Never before did they get any compliments about some craft project they made. Now every teacher that passed our hallway saw the baskets with flowers and gave the kids a big thumbs up.
So, your tutorial had effect on a whole class of kids 11 years old. Thank you.

big hug!

Sandra said...

This layout is gorgeous and I love the idea of the large butterfly wings. I agree with Karen that I always learn something from you.

Romy said...

Oh my, this just couldn't have been any prettier than this! It's such a gorgeous lay-out! The butterfly wings make a really nice elegant touch.

Naiara said...

Fantastic!!!

Kerry-Jean Watson said...

Gabrielle this is beautiful.

Tone-Lill said...

Great tutorial, from now on my drier will have ribbons to dry as well. Love the finished butterfly LO, a great idea how to make it. Love all those pretty embellishments
Wish you a fun and happy Easter :)

Patty O'Malley said...

I love butterflies, so, of course, I think this is so beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

I think it's been too many days since I told you how fabulous you are. You're creations are almost as beautiful as your soul!!! Thanks for always being so inspiring!

ADBnMushZMom said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love, love, love your beautiful creations, and especially appreciate your tutorials. I love all of your details, and always learn so much and feel so inspired! Thank you!

Lizzyc said...

Another beautiful layout.. thanks for sharing your tips and the template for the wings too!!

Samantha said...

This project is STUNNING, Gabi! and those papers, I'm going to have to see where I can find them!!

Unknown said...

Thanking you for this blog owner i will visit again

live samachar

ingrid said...

always love to see your pages Gabi...they are just gorgeous and this beauty is no exception! your detailwork is just amazing!
hugs Ingrid xxx

Danoesja said...

Hi Gabrielle

I love your style, its so beautifull.
Have ahappy easter.

Greetings, Danoesja

Christina said...

what a beautiful LO and nice paper:-)

Margaret Mifsud said...

Stunning layout as always Gabrielle. Love, love, love that butterfly and your little tutorial. Thank you. ox Marg

Tuikku said...

Again so beautiful layout... you are so talanted.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails